Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

When we went to Derry in 77, I thought the Brick Commanders had Clansman. But to be honest with the Passing of time?????
Hmmmnnnn...... my dad in the Creggan Estate whinged a bit about stuff interfering with his tv signal, especially on the racing from Kempton Part. Had a suit in 'mufti' visit and experience radio comms exchanges.

might have been EOD dealing with local beer kegs ?
Nope........ Royal Sigs type was confused when dad demonstrated that patrol call signs were interrupting his racing episodes. When RS type queried as to why this tv Sigs phenomena had not been reported before he responded - " cos I'n the only one in this fcuking street that has actually bought a tv licence".

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nope........ Royal Sigs type was confused when dad demonstrated that patrol call signs were interrupting his racing episodes. When RS type queried as to why this tv Sigs phenomena had not been reported before he responded - " cos I'n the only one in this fcuking street that has actually bought a tv licence".
Touch of the pedant mode> That would be R Sigs not RS! ;). Pedant mode off<

One day the RUC asked if anyone wanted a trip to Belfast to assist with the transfer of a prisoner and I volunteered.

We set of in their unmarked car and I was in the back with a civvy jacket, my SLR and a handcuffed prisoner.

When we got to the Crumlin Road prison the prison officers refused to let me in or even let me hide behind their main gate and I ended up at a bus stop outside the prison, in half combats, trying to hide THAT rifle behind my back. I was really concerned that I would be confronted by local police or army patrols. 20mins later I was rescued and we made our way home. No one seemed to notice my predicament.

View attachment 398081

Ballykinler and Sandes? soldiers home before it was vaporised.
View attachment 398082
View attachment 398083
Why the feck would the screws not let you in?

Funnily enough when the TV Licensing folk knocked on the Bn 2ICs door asking to access the MQs patch with their van, his offer was you can check one MQ for every one house you check in the Creggan. He did not hear from them again...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not to be confused with R Scots (maybe SCOTS) of course :D. Who are these RS you speak of?
Who are these R Scots you mention? RS is the official abrev for The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment).

SCOTS are the new kids on the block as the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Why the feck would the screws not let you in?
Depends when it was ACAB. Crumlin Road used to have a Guard Force but we were never allowed near the scallies unrtil a formal handover by the Governor took place. I was Gd Tp Comd in 1975 whena riot broke out and he formally handed over to me. Oh how we laughed. In fact IIRC we were supported by rft from (2)? SG.

Mea culpa - memory fart. 1 SG

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10