Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Desperate men, then. PIRA were quite keen on laying hands on me (and the others in the City and Country Teams) too, which was depressing, especially when they worked out the likeliest spot we would park the car; an object lesson in remaining unpredictable, which was difficult in view of the role. I was there for most of 76-78; was the RRW there at that time?
You stuck your neck out then! RRW? Yes in Dramadd Bks, in Armagh.

Bloody hell, as I said we were at Ft George, I got a photo of the loading bay, one looking across the gate and one of inside my room in the barrack block.
Sub base who'd have known it?????
I remember hearing there was a glass case in Fort George, presumably mounted at a time when it seemed like it wouldn't be long before British troops would be beating retreat out of Derry, which contained a bottle of Scotch, there was a notice attached "To the last drop, by the last man, on the last day".

Can anyone confirm that? Or indeed the subsequent rumour that when the base did finally close in 2001 the last man opened the bottle to discover it contained cold tea?

This is of the first shooting of a British soldier in Derry in the corner of William Street/Abbey Street, 26th July 1971. Interesting helmet on the left.

View attachment 394855
The helmet is a WW2 Despatch Rider's Helmet... presumably still on the QMs kit holdings... I bet he'd be surprised to find out what they are selling for as a collector's item these days :)

Linky

Great pics by the way... takes me back more years than I care to remember... :)

ugly

LE
The 2 bns in Derry when I was there were the Green Howards (Frankies) and the Hampshires (hamsters), I'e no idea if these were recognised nicknamed, but it's what we called them:)[/QUOTE]
The GH were nicknamed the Dingles after the pikey family from Emmerdale which is apparently something on TV. The Hamsters nickname has been around almost as long as the Regiment lasted. I suspect now being called the Tigers was a promotion!

I remember hearing there was a glass case in Fort George, presumably mounted at a time when it seemed like it wouldn't be long before British troops would be beating retreat out of Derry, which contained a bottle of Scotch, there was a notice attached "To the last drop, by the last man, on the last day".

Can anyone confirm that? Or indeed the subsequent rumour that when the base did finally close in 2001 the last man opened the bottle to discover it contained cold tea?
Not that I saw, could have been in base HQ, being a lowly Trooper wasn't allowed in there....

Last man was OC D Coy 2RRF, when they closed Ft George in 1978.

It wasn't a glass case, but a wooden frame, cunningl padlocked to safeguard the screw top.

He reckoned it was piss, not tea, by the smell (I hasten to add)

being called the Tigers was a promotion
A rip off, actually. It was long the nickname of the Leicestershire Regiment: there was even a half decent ale named after them.

ETA: Then the Queen's Regiment nicked it (ISTR) naming their short lived parachute display team The Flying Tigers, in the 80s, prior to the amalgamation of the two Regiments, which deleted from the Army Order of Battle the title The Queen's Regiment after a couple of centuries. That whole thing was a badly-managed forced marriage, with much acrimony surrounding it.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
However the Hamster used to have solid silver tigers (small scale) as an officers mess table decoration.

God, that brings me back, only the British Army could possibly think Austin 1800s were useful cars in the 1980s.

If you were in the Waterside at that time perhaps you'd have some insights on the standoff on, was it the Rossdowney Road?, between the RMPs in their Austins and the Provies in a big dark green Ford Granada they had stolen earlier dressed as RUC. It ended up as a running battle through the Waterside as I recall.

I heard the other side of the story from a well-known player who later went on to be an SF councillor, I would be interested in hearing your end of things, naming no names or providing compromising information, obvs.
I'm afraid I only vaguely remember an incident of that sort, and think it was before my time. The RMP, who were given the Waterside/Gobnascale TAOR, generally had a less stressful time than the roulement bns across the river; most of the scenes of crime I attended there were 'finds', usually minor ones. This attempt at humour was taken by the WIS clerk at a find in a house on (I think) Moore St and posted above my desk:
1.jpg

1800 to the right, 176 Pro Coy chaps on the cordon, with 9mm Browning and 9mm Sterling.
The 1800s we had were tampered with by the Pro Coy mechanic to give quite a bit more power than was necessary, which was nice. Hair approaching 'bouffant' status.

Last edited:
The 2 bns in Derry when I was there were the Green Howards (Frankies) and the Hampshires (hamsters), I'e no idea if these were recognised nicknamed, but it's what we called them:)[/QUOTE]

We called them Hamsters too, in Munster we were in Waterloo Brks and they were just along the road, can't remember what barracks they were in.

Pre or post amalgamation? If pre, I'm guessing some Indian service connection in days of the Raj
Badges shown. The one with the crown is after the 'Royal' prefix was given.

256-royal-hampshire-regiment.jpg

hampshire_regiment_badge2.jpg

Many other regiments were 'awarded' the tiger for service in India, including the Gordons, R Dublin Fusiliers and Munster Fusiliers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10