Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Just outside Derry on the road to the south, there was a PVCP. Sanger, sleeping block, kitchen, control room. The Sanger used to over look a housing estate, using bingo's or Starlight gave us some interesting viewing.

I remember trying to be ally with a BHP stuck down the back of my waistband, it fell down the back of my combats into the left leg & got stuck behind my knee. i had to strip off to get the fecking thing, I wasn't wearing any skiddies either. Piss taking for ever.

William St today, not a 'burnt out' house, or car, it all looks nice and prosperous, I walked on into the Bogside and stood on corners where I had stood all those years ago, the transformation was so good to see. The well-kept houses give the impression of people in employment. To the left of the image off site was a stall with some poorly clad stallholders selling stuff for the 'Cause.' Some never give up.

Spare me Just a little reminisce:
On the corner near the red painted shop, we used to stand sometime in Coy or Pl strength., the baddies usually came from the right, sometimes from both directions. We had a coy 2ic that was into Shakespeare, and in particular Henry Vth at Agincourt, of which he sometimes give us the first few verses, as follows. " Whats he that asks more men from England now, You Sir, I beg you, ask for not one man more, for if we are marked to die, then we are enough to do our country loss, but if to live, the fewer men here today, then the greater the share of honour!" View attachment 352878
Apologies for reopening a dormant thread but this photo of Aggro Corner today brought back memories of my last visit to Derry a couple of years ago after living overseas for a bit.

I had a pizza with a few mates in a pizzeria just across from Tracys (to the left out of picture). We sat at a little outdoor seating area and a breeze caught a couple of paper tissues that had been on the table blowing them on to the street.

My mate told me to pick them up or a litter warden might give me an on-the-spot fine. I was dumbstruck, a litter warden, in Derry? A paid and presumably uniformed agent of the state handing out fines on the street, and people actually paid up rather than beating the shite out of him?

A day or so later I was driving down a main road on the City side when my passenger warned me to slow down (I am used to driving in southern Asia where the only speed limit is the bumper of the vehicle in front) there were police speed traps and I could get points on my licence. Police speed traps, in Derry?

Derry has changed a lot.

Here are a few photos of Aggro Corner back in the day, you can see Tracys in most of them to give you a point of reference.

This is August 14 1969, the first day of the deployment of the troops. That's Tracys between Porter & Roulston and Chada's. The Corner Boot Store is where the pizzeria is now.

(Credit: Clive Limpkin)
Tracys1.jpg

That's Tracys door next to the No Entry sign (also visible in photo above). Clearly judging by the stones on the street a riot is ongoing, the girls aren't much bothered.
(Credit: Willie Carson)
Tracys7.jpg

A bit around the corner from Tracys (behind the remains of the Ulster Bank on the left) but it gives you an idea of the devastation Derry suffered, every building (including Derry's only "skyscraper" the Embassy Building) displays blast or fire damage.

(Credt: Eamon Melaugh)

Tracys4.jpg

Waterloo Square again (appropriate place to host Derry's public toilets). Tracys is between Littlewoods and the remains of the Ulster Bank, destroyed in a huge truck bomb.

Tracys5.jpg

This is the immediate aftermath of the bomb that wiped out the Ulster Bank, it actually ruptured the gas main under the street.

And they hand out fines for littering now in Derry, things have changed.

Tracys6.jpg

A bit around the corner from Tracys (behind the remains of the Ulster Bank on the left) but it gives you an idea of the devastation Derry suffered, every building (including Derry's only "skyscraper" the Embassy Building) displays blast or fire damage.

(Credt: Eamon Melaugh)

View attachment 394644
Interesting photos - visited Londonderry many times, never did a tour there. Are any of the three soldiers in that photo carrying weapons? Presumably they’re searchers and carrying pistols?

Somebody will be along shortly to say they (still) would . . . .
They're probably RE and the place is well 'staked out' so they can to do a check of things?.

When 2RTR did our NI training in '77, I don't remember seeing those leg guards the full screws wearing. When did those come in/disappear?
Never saw them either - I still have the scar and dent in my shin bone after getting whacked with a half brick on the leg in 77...

When 2RTR did our NI training in '77, I don't remember seeing those leg guards the full screws wearing. When did those come in/disappear?
These photos mostly date from 1969 up to around, at a guess about 1974. In a Clive Limpkin photo (I will see if I can scan it later) of an Army charge, Limpkin refers to the shin guards, describing them as cumbersome and that many soldiers simply opted for a rolled up copy of the National Geographic (ahem) shoved down their trouser legs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10