Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

I love the 2 sharing the scarf, please tell me they didn't crew a motor like that.
I'm betting they're officers, and that's their college scarf from Oxford.

The better to help them blend in among the common folk on the streets of the Six Counties.

I'm betting they're officers, and that's their college scarf from Oxford.

The better to help them blend in among the common folk on the streets of the Six Counties.
Lumberjack shirts and college scarves were the new jeans and desert boots.....

Oh, and one guy is wearing ID discs.......

It is really simple, unlike the vulgar fractions of historic cavalry units.

As set out earlier there were originally 7 UDR Bns - 1 per county and 1 for City of Belfast. Numbered alphabetically:
1 - Antrim
2 - Armagh
3 - Down
4 - Fermanagh
5 - Londonderry
6 - Tyrone
7 - City of Belfast

With increase in numbers in early seventies some Bns were divided but remained County based. So 1 (Co Antrim) UDR Bn divided into 1 (Co Antrim) and 9 (Co Antrim) Bns. When they were re-merged in 1984 it was decided to keep both numbers rather than go back to the original single digit. So 1 & 9 merged to form 1/9 (Co Antrim) Bn. Simples!

In Belfast a similar exercise occurred with 7UDR to 7 & 10 UDR, also re-merged to form 7/10 UDR,

11 UDR were formed in Craigavon and were not based in Palace ... somebody misremembering above there!!
Not sure when, but Co Tyrone split with 6 UDR taking West Tyrone - BHQ Omagh and 8 UDR taking East Tyrone with BHQ ib Dungannon.

Lumberjack shirts and college scarves were the new jeans and desert boots.....

Oh, and one guy is wearing ID discs.......
Superceeded by North Face jackets and KSBs at some point...

One OC I worked with wore a charity shop tweed suit and trilby and drove a car that was never washed in 6 months, doing a very passable impression of a border farmer.

3 R ANGLIAN in Oct '79. The other occupant of the car survived although badly wounded and was later my Coy Int Sgt - I've mentioned this elsewhere so won't repeat it all. @Kinch also has the details - the 'Lost Lives' version is accurate including the plates.
Mick Ward and Mick Burbridge, we're victims of shit covert vehicle admin as well. Grey mini van that was far too long in one area and in and out of too many SF bases.

Superceeded by North Face jackets and KSBs at some point...

One OC I worked with wore a charity shop tweed suit and trilby and drove a car that was never washed in 6 months, doing a very passable impression of a border farmer.
I thought that was undress uniform for senior Rupert's anyway.....

Just saying...

Mick Ward and Mick Burbridge, we're victims of shit covert vehicle admin as well. Grey mini van that was far too long in one area and in and out of too many SF bases.
I've mentioned it before but after the death of Cpls Wood and Howes I was tasked with carrying out a programme of security audits of all units and detachments in NI with a particular emphasis on transport security control and the use of 'covert' cars and vans. What I discovered horrified me - the variation in standards was grotesque and frankly that more soldiers weren't killed is beyond belief. At one end of the scale many soldiers were ordered or didn't want to carry more than a pistol and a single magazine lest they be accused of 'walting' as SF. At the other end there were cowboys with Zapata moustaches tooled up to the nines simply doing admin runs in Lisburn. There was no coherent policy, an adherence to outdated TTPs, no understanding of pattern setting or 'normality/abnormality' and certainly no proper training unless you were in a unit that carried out a covert role or routinely operated in plain clothes (and there's a big difference).

We were lucky the other side were clearly just as incompetent.

I've mentioned it before but after the death of Cpls Wood and Howes I was tasked with carrying out a programme of security audits of all units and detachments in NI with a particular emphasis on transport security control and the use of 'covert' cars and vans. What I discovered horrified me - the variation in standards was grotesque and frankly that more soldiers weren't killed is beyond belief. At one end of the scale many soldiers were ordered or didn't want to carry more than a pistol and a single magazine lest they be accused of 'walting' as SF. At the other end there were cowboys with Zapata moustaches tooled up to the nines simply doing admin runs in Lisburn. There was no coherent policy, an adherence to outdated TTPs, no understanding of pattern setting or 'normality/abnormality' and certainly no proper training unless you were in a unit that carried out a covert role or routinely operated in plain clothes (and there's a big difference).

Have to agree. Two of us did regular runs from Lisanelly Omagh to Sydenham circa 79 - 80 and only carried a browning 9mm shoved in our pockets with a single mag of 10 rounds.
Ridiculous when I think back.

ETA

And we always went via bomb alley Dungannon.

Last edited:
And in Ogbourne St George too........;);)
Ah, apologies for misdirection. I was fixated by the 'Death Squad' stuff, as probably was whoever wrote the article.

I like the briefing: "The Ogbourne Loyalist Front ... who are principally a right-wing organisation...draw their support mainly from the middle-class farmers... The other faction is the Independence Revolutionary Association, ... and they are mainly a left-wing organisation who draw their support from the unemployed and the lower classes"

Last edited:

Our admin drivers had to have done a tour before being let loose but as you say no formal training. Having parked our minibus in a car park in Belfast one Saturday, on returning the drivers window was missing, fair put the shits up me I can tell you.

If I remember correctly, that was a routine post-run to Rosemount; Mick Burbridge stood in for the chap whose turn it was that day; a good friend and definitely one of the good guys.

ugly

LE
At the other end there were cowboys with Zapata moustaches tooled up to the nines simply doing admin runs in Lisburn
The COP sigs NCO who dressed in smock, cop vest, HK53 and cam cream all over his face just to deliver the bids and crypto by helicopter to XMG, no he wasn't in my pln. Ours, Mac, looked like what he is now, an alcoholic taxi driver with poor eyesight!

Ah, apologies for misdirection. I was fixated by the 'Death Squad' stuff, as probably was whoever wrote the article.

I like the briefing: "The Ogbourne Loyalist Front ... who are principally a right-wing organisation...draw their support mainly from the middle-class farmers... The other faction is the Independence Revolutionary Association, ... and they are mainly a left-wing organisation who draw their support from the unemployed and the lower classes"
I have to apologise for Patrick Mercer throughout that clip. Some great stuff from Ray Huggins though.

ugly

LE
If I remember correctly, that was a routine post-run to Rosemount; Mick Burbridge stood in for the chap whose turn it was that day; a good friend and definitely one of the good guys.
Its often the way, the innocent on his first run gets slotted as the others had set the pattern.

Oyibo

LE
It was a run to fix a failed generator. Too much faith in slightly long hair and a competent MTO. Rip to the pair of them.

Have to agree. Two of us did regular runs from Lisanelly Omagh to Sydenham circa 79 - 80 and only carried a browning 9mm shoved in our pockets with a single mag of 10 rounds.
Ridiculous when I think back.

ETA

And we always went via bomb alley Dungannon.
Bit better than an SMG(+10 rounds) in a duffel bag.

Latest Threads