Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

There are indeed.
ETA: second left is the guy who I believe released the picture. Second right, the guy who subsequently pissed him off, third right (on floor) a famous D&D chap.
Correct on all three counts and the first two both in the writing business!

Indeed, might have a re-read as more detail emerges.
I'm assuming you've read Hurst's book about Scappaticci?

Yes, though a while back. Stll a lot of smoke and mirrors. The picture for example, Hurst told me it was St Angelo not long after the Enniskillan bomb, but if that was correct, then one of the three I mentioned shouldn't have been in it as he left the Army (repudetedly) in '84? Hurst's book on Scap relies to some extent on John Wilsey's telephone conversation transcript and possibly his book 'Ulster Tales' which is significantly innaccurate - something Wilsey subsequently acknowledged.

Indeed, might have a re-read as more detail emerges.
Yes, though a while back. Stll a lot of smoke and mirrors. The picture for example, Hurst told me it was St Angelo not long after the Enniskillan bomb, but if that was correct, then one of the three I mentioned shouldn't have been in it as he left the Army (repudetedly) in '84? Hurst's book on Scap relies to some extent on John Wilsey's telephone conversation transcript and possibly his book 'Ulster Tales' which is significantly innaccurate - something Wilsey subsequently acknowledged.
Cars and weapons make it later than '84 ;)

Cars and weapons make it later than '84 ;)
That's my take too - esp the cars which are 86 models. Interesting.
ETA: when I first looked at this pic a few years ago I was able to work out the location of the Reg Plates. Short synopsis is that three different dets are present. Cars in NI were registered on a county basis and each contained unique letters.

That's my take too - esp the cars which are 86 models. Interesting.
ETA: when I first looked at this pic a few years ago I was able to work out the location of the Reg Plates. Short synopsis is that three different dets are present. Cars in NI were registered on a county basis and each contained unique letters.
Perhaps - but I had two WOs whose full-time job was managing covert vehicles and plate changes so I imagine it wasn't such a certainty although by the late 80s matching plates and cars to the right areas was seen as very important.

Perhaps - but I had two WOs whose full-time job was managing covert vehicles and plate changes so I imagine it wasn't such a certainty although by the late 80s matching plates and cars to the right areas was seen as very important.
That's interesting. How extensive was his supply of VRNs? I ask because PIRA dickers were seemingly assiduous in logging those of known 'covert' vehicles, and I'd expect them to spot VRNs being recycled/switched between vehicles.

That's interesting. How extensive was his supply of VRNs? I ask because PIRA dickers were seemingly assiduous in logging those of known 'covert' vehicles, and I'd expect them to spot VRNs being recycled/switched between vehicles.
Could be changed immediately on request or suspicion of compromise. Often carried two or three sets in the boot....

Could be changed immediately on request or suspicion of compromise. Often carried two or three sets in the boot....
That's all very well, but it's one thing to have 15 plates rotated for months between 5 cars, and quite another to have a stock of 250 that are frequently refreshed, was the line of my inquiry.

That's all very well, but it's one thing to have 15 plates rotated for months between 5 cars, and quite another to have a stock of 250 that are frequently refreshed, was the line of my inquiry.
Loads - and directly through DVLA.....

No reuse of compromised plates - that would be insane, although I can’t answer for evryone and certainly not before 1984...

No reuse of compromised plates - that would be insane, although I can’t answer for evryone and certainly not before 1984...
Excellent. A long time coming, though, by the sound of it.

I know of one fatality (1980? DWR CONCO, Falls/Whiterock junction) that arose because his 'covert' car wasn't. Kinda wonder if there were others, before we got smart.

Final page of a letter from Michael Heseltine to Douglas Hurd - re covert operations held in hih regard ETA need to reduce size of the file will post asap.
Gen question. What did the FRU at St. Angelo do?

Cheers,
Dan.
I believe they were an additional element within the West (Derry) Detachment. The essence of the unit was to develop and run agents/informers with the senior people trained as agent handlers and the remainder either Corps collators or force protection. My understanding is that the St Angelo Det was established in the wake of the Enniskillin bombing.

Last edited:

exspy

LE
He was most impressed with Gen Brian Horrocks! and quite looked after him, they were friends (Monty being the senior friend of course) right into their later years. I recommend the book 'Horrocks' as a good read and good anecdotes ref Monty.
Wasn't it Horrocks who said of Monty, something along the lines of "In case of war I would walk a hundred miles to serve with him, but during times of peace I would walk a hundred miles just to avoid him." Which just about sums up what many thought of the Field Marshal.

Cheers,
Dan.

Gen question. What did the FRU at St. Angelo do?

Cheers,
Dan.
An alternative reply might well be "It depends who you choose to believe". To see what I mean, do a Google Reverse Image search on the larger of the two photos: the result is instructive, even if much of what you find is not truthful.

Latest Threads