Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
He was with Phantom and was OC A Squadron in 1942 ( in the U.K. ) but was transferred to SHAEF sometime before D-Day and ended the war as a lieutenant colonel and Director of Troop Broadcasting Services:

GHQ Liaison Regiment: A Nominal Roll with Short Biographies
Yup, as I said, commissioned into the Rifle Brigade. Even wore the tie on many occasions, including the filum about the Calcutta Light Horse. 'The Sea Wolves'

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've just finished reading the book 'Army of Tribes' I really cannot recommend this book highly enough. The research is in great and interesting depth, it gets down to soldier level via Court and SIB and RUC statements also visits to retired soldiers in their homes, some anonymous, also verbal 1970s/ 80s archives from soldiers that were involved.
A brilliant book that does indeed hurt in places, where the whole truth is told regarding policy and certain instances. The Bogside, Greggan, XMG, Ballymurphy, Ardoyne, Newry, Andytown all get a good airing, whether you were there and carried that rifle, or you want to know what good men under pressure did with it...then read on!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've just finished reading the book 'Army of Tribes' I really cannot recommend this book highly enough. The research is in great and interesting depth, it gets down to soldier level via Court and SIB and RUC statements also visits to retired soldiers in their homes, some anonymous, also verbal 1970s/ 80s archives from soldiers that were involved.
A brilliant book that does indeed hurt in places, where the whole truth is told regarding policy and certain instances. The Bogside, Greggan, XMG, Ballymurphy, Ardoyne, Newry, Andytown all get a good airing, whether you were there and carried that rifle, or you want to know what good men under pressure did with it...then read on!
Sounds interesting
"
An Army of Tribes: British Army Cohesion, Deviancy
"
I knew an awful lot of deviants :)

Wasn't that @ugly 's point a few posts ago?
Were you on 2 RRF’s ‘78 tour in Londonderry? Just picked up the ‘2nd Fusilier’ magazine of that tour, and ‘Four Months in Winter’ which is Belfast in ‘71/‘72 I think?

Thread drift.
Just as I have friends from both sides of the mid '80's civil war (as many see it) who have not forgotten.
They didn't like Scargill but they hate Thatcher and the police.
Thread drift over.
Completely understandable. This thread has been really interesting, and I am certain there is a tale to be told, cos at the moment this is a side show to the history of the U.K. and I think wrong.
In my own case my breakdown came later, which is something no ****** needs to hear about. Thanks all.

Were you on 2 RRF’s ‘78 tour in Londonderry? Just picked up the ‘2nd Fusilier’ magazine of that tour, and ‘Four Months in Winter’ which is Belfast in ‘71/‘72 I think?
I was in Derry, on that 1978 tour, on the day Dessie O'Hare was trying to kill my pal at his wedding.

Come to think of it, there's a chance that the mag has in it photos that I took :)

I was still at skule for the 4 months in winter tour (I may have a copy somewhere - it was published in the expectation that it would be "All over by Xmas". By 1980 the PRI were giving them away :-D )

I was in Derry, on that 1978 tour, on the day Dessie O'Hare was trying to kill my pal at his wedding.

Come to think of it, there's a chance that the mag has in it photos that I took :)

I was still at skule for the 4 months in winter tour (I may have a copy somewhere - it was published in the expectation that it would be "All over by Xmas". By 1980 the PRI were giving them away :-D )
Thought so - interesting stuff in both.

Sounds interesting
"
An Army of Tribes: British Army Cohesion, Deviancy
"
I knew an awful lot of deviants :)
You say that like it's a bad thing....

Maybe Crusader was the first single FTX, as opposed to a series of exercises?
I remember Crusader (80) being lauded as the largest single FTX mobilisation since WW2. Drove all the way from Tidworth. Such was the build up followed by the close to walking speed of the convoy, I was knackered by the time we got to Bulford....only 000s more miles to go.

I remember Crusader (80) being lauded as the largest single FTX mobilisation since WW2. Drove all the way from Tidworth. Such was the build up followed by the close to walking speed of the convoy, I was knackered by the time we got to Bulford....only 000s more miles to go.
Went from Colchester. It was the only time I went on exercise without a map and route card.
Due to breakdowns we got separated in Germany from the rest of the convoy but found our way to the assembly point by using the broken down Fox armoured cars as routemarkers.
It was the most smambolick ex I ever took part in.

Went from Colchester. It was the only time I went on exercise without a map and route card.
Due to breakdowns we got separated in Germany from the rest of the convoy but found our way to the assembly point by using the broken down Fox armoured cars as routemarkers.
It was the most smambolick ex I ever took part in.
You clearly didn’t do Lionheart then?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10