Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

I'm familiar with that dialect too.
Together with a surgeon colleague from Dundee, we engaged in such a conversation at a multinational dinner party in the middle east. The Malaysian, Chinese, Arab, Indian and Sri Lankan guests were convinced we were speaking in some ancient dialect as we roared with laughter between exchanges. It all came to a halt when i enquired whether he had recently had a 'keech' - he couldn't contain himself and nearly choaked on his dentures.

Niven was originally commissioned into HLI, between the wars.

John Wayne was US Coastguard

Am I displaying a complete failure to understand your post yet?
John Wayne never served in the US forces

He was exempt in 1940 3A (Family exemption)

he was 34 (too old) and a father of four(When they were not drafting fathers of one)
He also would not pass an induction physical to to knee and back injuries while a college football player.

He did however volunteer for the OSS but never knew if he was accepted because the reply was mailed to an ex wife
Press Kits: American Originals Traveling Exhibit
https://www.archives.gov/files/press/press-kits/american-originals-photos/john-wayne-oss-12.jpg

https://www.archives.gov/files/press/press-kits/american-originals-photos/john-wayne-oss-11.jpg

John Wayne never served in the US forces

He was exempt in 1940 3A (Family exemption)

he was 34 (too old) and a father of four(When they were not drafting fathers of one)
He also would not pass an induction physical to to knee and back injuries while a college football player.

He did however volunteer for the OSS but never knew if he was accepted because the reply was mailed to an ex wife
Press Kits: American Originals Traveling Exhibit
https://www.archives.gov/files/press/press-kits/american-originals-photos/john-wayne-oss-12.jpg

https://www.archives.gov/files/press/press-kits/american-originals-photos/john-wayne-oss-11.jpg
Looks like I'm not the only one who got hold of the wrong end of the shtick:

He was Harry Lauder's Infants before the war. He left, went to the colonies and became an actor. When Adolf started his gap year travels, Niven returned to the UK then joined the Rifle Brigade. During this period, he undertook commando training ( no idea why, his mate Errol Flynn had already shown him how to go knickerless) then - after training and incidentally, introducing Robert Laycock to the force - he was assigned to GHQ Liason Regiment.
He was with Phantom and was OC A Squadron in 1942 ( in the U.K. ) but was transferred to SHAEF sometime before D-Day and ended the war as a lieutenant colonel and Director of Troop Broadcasting Services:

GHQ Liaison Regiment: A Nominal Roll with Short Biographies

It serves certainly, to remind me that I was involved in the mahoosive FTX in which the Task Force concept was trailled in BAOR.

We started with sub-unit training at Soltau in (IIRC) June 1975, with the FTX (which I know as WIDE HORIZON, but that may well have been the trial name and a sub-set of a much larger Ex whose name I never knew, or have forgot) working its way East-to-West across vast tracts of 443-ed areas through July, August, September and into October (followed, after a week back in in barracks by another week or two on some other lesser FTX)

Every exercise I ever did after that was something of a disappointment :)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It serves certainly, to remind me that I was involved in the mahoosive FTX in which the Task Force concept was trailled in BAOR.

We started with sub-unit training at Soltau in (IIRC) June 1975, with the FTX (which I know as WIDE HORIZON, but that may well have been the trial name and a sub-set of a much larger Ex whose name I never knew, or have forgot) working its way East-to-West across vast tracts of 443-ed areas through July, August, September and into October (followed, after a week back in in barracks by another week or two on some other lesser FTX)

Every exercise I ever did after that was something of a disappointment :)
I found a military magazine a few years ago which stated that the first FTX to work task forces was Crusader 1976. Crusader 80 was Spearpoint, Crusader 84 was Lionheart.

I found a military magazine a few years ago which stated that the first FTX to work task forces was Crusader 1976. Crusader 80 was Spearpoint, Crusader 84 was Lionheart.
They were talking through their arse somewhat misinformed.

From the HoC report linked earlier in #2,271 by @twentyfirstoffoot , dated May 1976:

I know that the House has been interested in the results of the BAOR trials, and it may be convenient to summarise them here. There were a series of exercises in BAOR last year under the code name "Wide Horizon" in which the new organisation was to be tested as throughly as possible in command post and field training exercises culminating in a field exercise involving elements of two divisions. I should perhaps add at this point that there will be a further round of trials in BAOR this year, ending with a corps exercise, in which further opportunity will be taken to test the new organisations.​

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
They were talking through their arse somewhat misinformed.

From the HoC report linked earlier by @twentyfirstoffoot , dated May 1976:

I know that the House has been interested in the results of the BAOR trials, and it may be convenient to summarise them here. There were a series of exercises in BAOR last year under the code name "Wide Horizon" in which the new organisation was to be tested as throughly as possible in command post and field training exercises culminating in a field exercise involving elements of two divisions. I should perhaps add at this point that there will be a further round of trials in BAOR this year, ending with a corps exercise, in which further opportunity will be taken to test the new organisations.​
Maybe Crusader was the first single FTX, as opposed to a series of exercises?

ugly

LE
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10