Op Banner March

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland (Op BANNER)' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Sep 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Good Luck and Fair Weather to those marching today.

RIP and 'thank you' to the service personnel killed in action during the campaign.

RIP to the innocent civilians and children murdered in Ireland, on the Mainland and in BFG in the name of 'freedom'.

Sleep easy, the survivors.

2. Amen to that. Furthermore, may the murderers suffer nightmares till their own time comes and meet grim justice afterwards. Finally, let's hope it really is over (I remain unconvinced).

3. Outrage march - no transport required?

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

wait until the BBC reports it.

At the end of Op Banner they got some Irish Catholic woman and gave her a platform to denounce all British Soldiers as murderers. They did not provide anyone with the right to reply.

5. Echoed from this callsign.

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

OK I retract some of the above.

Jeremy Vine has asked people who served HM during Op Banner to phone, text or email their memories for his show today.

Fill yer boots, folks.

7. lets see how that cnut jon snow on channel 4 news "reports" it.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Well, it got very dusty in my house during the description of the aftermath of the Dropping Well bomb.

9. Just back from the service and buffet (Guildhall for me).

Really good service in St Pauls and afterward a moving speech by LM of London (the real one) and CoS (some crab) in the Guildhall.
    HRH spent ages talking with attendees.
    Baroness Thatcher looking weary but there anyway.

Suitably wankered on Charles Heidsecke champagne

10. From what i've seen on the telly it looks like a bloody good day and a suitable way to remember and give thanks. Well done to all those there. Thoughts with those that were never given the chance to attend. Will raise a glass or two of Guinness tonight to all. Faugh a Ballagh!

edited for mong-fingers due to several glasses already sunk!

11. It WAS a lovely day!

Weather was kind to us. The train journey up to Town was fun - at every stop a few more smart suited types got on, nods were exchanged and the odd comment of 'I bet I know where you're going!' was passed. Waterloo Station looked like a Muster Point and served as an excellent FUP. 'Spot the Face' was the order of the day.

The Service was spot on - very moving, cracking hymns and St Paul's, if you've not been, is simply stunning. I lost it slightly during 'Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart' and had to regain control of a somewhat wobbly chin.....

The March past was conducted in good humour. I was surprised by the numbers of CIVPOP who lined the route, tourists as well as office workers who came out to see and clap us as we went by. That too was both moving and cheering.

The Reception was extremely well organised, we were in the Guildhall with Maggie, Prince of Wales and CDS etc. A good lunch, and, if you were quick enough, enough free pish to oil the chat!

I am very glad I paid the £63 train fare and took the day off work! Excellent.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I myself was there and thoroughly enjoyed it esp the free food and booze, CDS seemed an alright bloke, met the man who would have been my CO had I stayed in and lots of really old sweats. Some nice chaps like me with one gong including some ex CO's and a very nice still serving after 35 years Former UDR man with about as many bars as possible on the ACSM!
    I did get very drunk on the way home!

13. For what it's worth, I know the staff member at Guildhall who arranged it all. I'll pass her the link to this page so she can see how all the hard work that was put in has been appreciated.

14. Thank you! Hats off to the bird! A good days work - she should be promoted!

15. She's very grateful and glad you enjoyed yourselves!

She also said, Queensman, that she's printed out your comment about promotion and will include it in her next appraisal session!