OP BANNER ENDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hear, hear!
Hopefully there won't be an Op Banner pt II - The Return :D But look out for some sh*te yank film (another) rewriting history :evil:

Good riddance to Op Banner, I echo those sentiments. I also hope that no return is necessary. Only 5000 troops in NI now, so that's good - Same amount (nearly) as Iraq.

Luckily, the similarities end there.

whats happening to the HS (UDR in my day)

Laid off.

I'm sure some in NI can give you better details than that, but thats the basic answer.

Sad, I have had many members of my family serve in the UDR and Royal Irish.

BlotBangRub said:
Laid off.

I'm sure some in NI can give you better details than that, but thats the basic answer.

nearly joined them once.

RIR HS has been disbanded

The RIR regular batallion has been kept as has the TA batallion

MoD recently published an account of Op BANNER on their FOI websiteOp BANNER Report

Wonk_Mog said:
BlotBangRub said:
Laid off.

nearly joined them once.
Actually me too; I applied for a commission with the UDR but I was 'talked out of it' by relative already there. (He has his mate throw my application in the bin :cry: )

He thought I would be better off where I was. Maybe so but I would have very much liked to have served with them for a while at least.

RIP, the hundreds of lost UDR and Royal Irish soldiers.

Does that mean the GSM (NI) will no longer be issued or has that already stopped?

In memory of the victims of the Lisburn Fun Run Bus in June 1988
RIP guys.

Might pop over and cruise the Lower Falls again....for old times sake and maybe pop in for a pint at that pub on the corner of Cupar Street/Springfield Road always looked inviting,wonder if the outer stockade has been removed???

jungledave said:
RIR HS has been disbanded

The RIR regular batallion has been kept as has the TA batallion

MoD recently published an account of Op BANNER on their FOI websiteOp BANNER Report
Many thanks for that link!

Can anyone identify the print on the front of the report?

It looks like a 'Cuneo' painting that would look great on my wall.

Anyone know where I could obtain a copy?

grippar said:
Might pop over and cruise the Lower Falls again....for old times sake and maybe pop in for a pint at that pub on the corner of Cupar Street/Springfield Road always looked inviting,wonder if the outer stockade has been removed???
Why not mate, even XMG has turned into a tourist spot, i had family who were here serving in the 70,s with the Welsh Guards stay in Forkhill a few years back. Saying that apart from some folks living there(being careful :roll: ) the countryside is spectacular when it doesnt rain and you arent carrying a fully loaded burgan etc.

I suppose I grew up most of my life with Op Banner?!

I can only say thankyou to all those who put their lives on the line to combat terrorism and the paramilitary violence. Had it not been for the sacrifice of so many brave men and women, a part of the United Kingdom would have been destroyed or taken by violence, it was a long and sometimes hard to understand struggle but it was a just and right one.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the politics, whether you sympathised with Nationalists or Unionists, the principle was taking a stand against violence and those who saw fit to take up arms against democracy and the will of the people.

I seen first hand the bravery and dedication of so many servicemen and women, I seen and experianced violence and terrorism, I knew that there was always an unbreakable green line between freedom and anarchy and it made me feel proud. I haven't got any words to express the respect I have for those many men and women I never met.

I know that whatever semblance of peace and normality we have today is, in so very many ways, down to those who served so bravely and selflessly in Northern Ireland.

Wonk_Mog said:
BlotBangRub said:
Laid off.

nearly joined them once.
Just interested , what did you decide to join instead?

Lurgan_Stoop said:
Many thanks for that link!

Can anyone identify the print on the front of the report?

It looks like a 'Cuneo' painting that would look great on my wall.

Anyone know where I could obtain a copy?
Cover Picture ‘The Tragedy of Ulster’ appears by kind permission of the Cuneo Estate
http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/dynamic3.php?ProdName=DHM1318&action=name

End of Op Banner, Lest we Forget.

FAB
Many thanks. I am very much obliged to you!

Best wishes

grippar said:
I looked up The Markets, lower and upper on Google Earth the other day and all I could find was park land. I may take a trip back one day just for old times sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.