• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

OP ACTIVE EDGE

M

Mr_Logic

Guest
#1
Can anybody point me in the direction of any material about ACTIVE EDGE? I was not personally involved having arrived in BAOR too late but am interested in the general readiness states and stance compared to now (yes, I know I should get out more). I did google for it but surprisingly had no hits. I suspect that it may therefore not be in the public domain. I am assuming that it not still security caveated as the world has moved on considerably, but clearly I may be wrong. If so, I will eat my computer, burn down my house and change my name by deed poll while claiming mitigating factors of prolonged work related stress and being dropped on the head as a child. After all, Comrade Blair (Big Brother?) gets his WMD info off the internet so I thought there should be no harm asking about this one.

Any ideas?
 
#2
Ah - Active Edge - I remember it well - getting kicked out of bed at 0400 and racing up to the garages to get everything out before the pads arrived. Always seemed to happen when your vehicle was in bits, radio and/or vehicle batteries in the battery shop, radios in for repair, and kit all over the place !

You then end in the same (obvious) bits of woodland around the garrison which I can't believe the Sovs hadn't already sussed and mapped out !

To go to your original question - I don't think I've ever seen anything in print anywhere about it - half the army hadn't seemed to have heard of it when I got back to the UK!

When did it all finish ? Early 90's I assume with the fall of the wall and the pull out of WGF.
 
#3
Mr_Logic said:
Can anybody point me in the direction of any material about ACTIVE EDGE? I was not personally involved having arrived in BAOR too late but am interested in the general readiness states and stance compared to now (yes, I know I should get out more). I did google for it but surprisingly had no hits. I suspect that it may therefore not be in the public domain. I am assuming that it not still security caveated as the world has moved on considerably, but clearly I may be wrong. If so, I will eat my computer, burn down my house and change my name by deed poll while claiming mitigating factors of prolonged work related stress and being dropped on the head as a child. After all, Comrade Blair (Big Brother?) gets his WMD info off the internet so I thought there should be no harm asking about this one.

Any ideas?
Hi

Look at my posts here:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=22248.html
 
#4
Then there was the fatherless who called an Active Edge in the wee small hours after a Mess Dinner Night. As I, a squadron 2i/c, collapsed on to my pit still in full Mess Kit, I barely registered some t**t running down the corridor, banging on doors like a man possessed, and yelling 'Active Edge'. Then I ...
Came to in the morning, went down for breakfast, only to find the Mess SM looking all warry.
"What the f**k are you doing here, sir? The regiment crashed out about 3 hours ago."
Oh sh1t!
 
#5
I'm sure that when I was in Berlin it was Ex Rocking Horse with sirens going off all over the place and RMPs driving round the patch areas with tannoys at some ungodly hour!
 
#6
Active Edge in BAOR and Rocking Horse/Bear Garden (sig's ex) in West Berlin. My first Active Edge was at Detmold, called late on a Sunday night. I won't say what percentage was intoxicated leaving the camp, but think big! Rocking Horse was Berlin Brigade's equivalent, and all units would deploy into the Grunewald and sit around for a couple of days twiddling fingers and playing cards. Duty rumour/scenario was, if the Sovs did invade West Germany, they would bypass Berlin and wait for the predictable deployment of the Brigade into the woods, then launch a small nuke. Result: one crispy fried brigade and no Soviet casualties.
 
#7
Active Edge: Up at some ungodly hour and down the road towards Hameln. Cam up and sit around for a few hours.

Regimental legend had it that one orderly officer got the call but was slightly "Out of sorts" and so fell asleep before passing the message on. Result irate Brigade and incandescent CO. Never did find out if it was true.
 
#8
Can confirm that at least one call out found a large number of soldiers and officers from a nearby unit actually at BMH Rinteln, not in barracks. A sight to behold, squaddies in various states of undress, en masse, racing down the back stairs pulling on clothes. Orderly officers of units involved liased with the OO at Rinteln. Do you know, I don't think anyone was done for being in the wrong block. Not at the BMH anyway (I wait for someone to tell me otherwise).
By the next active edge, a whole new unit was in favour at Rinteln!
 
#9
Ah fond memories, Brigade Duty Clerk, get called to the Comcen during the night to sign for a "Flash" scurry back to desk and get the folder out marked "Active Edge - Immediate Action List" Info Garrision Duty Officer who is really hacked off because you got him\her out of bed then sit down and start phoning:

Call Bde Comd at home - get a huge b*llocking.
Call Bde Maj at home - get a huge b*llocking
Call various SO2 & SO3 type people at home - get a huge b*llocking
Call Bde Chief Clerk at home - get a huge b*llocking

Hmmm, a pattern emerging there. Only joy of which was being able to say "Sorry Sir, too busy to listen to that" then hanging up on them :)

Having had several major b*llockings start stacking all the Bde Crash Out Kit in the corridor and be prepared to load it all FECKIN NOW! into one of the Sigs 432's

Be accused constantly of "Not have told Col\Maj\Capt\Lt so-and-so" because said officer has failed to turn up and YOU must be to blame Cpl. Ho hum.

Spend rest of night helping Sig Sqn load piles of kit then sit in the Cam Cage of a 432 all feckin night and well into the next morning waiting for something to happen.

Once you are totally frozen, soaked to the skin and utterly dejected bug out to a none too easy to get to location and set up "The Complex" pretend to be warry marking loads of maps with a chinagraph and making Officer's tea for them.

Do a few stags on guard and a couple of Stand To's

ENDEX

Wait for what seems like feckin forever then back to camp, unpack it all and hope you are on leave next time it happens...

Oh the joys of Clerking. Gosh we were rather warry back then :)
 
#10
The crabs at RAF Gatow always knew when a Rocking Horse was going to get called three days in advance (friends in the comcen?) which was helpful. Even so there was always a massive flap-on by all ranks. Threats of violence from seniors to juniors, juniors running around with DMUs and jerry cans, pallet loads of stores going backwards and forwards and the SSM going barmy! One thing I'll always remember is the sitting around, waiting to move out of camp. I think the longest was nearly two days. Total boredom.
 
#11
Gunny Highway said:
The crabs at RAF Gatow always knew when a Rocking Horse was going to get called three days in advance (friends in the comcen?) which was helpful. Even so there was always a massive flap-on by all ranks. Threats of violence from seniors to juniors, juniors running around with DMUs and jerry cans, pallet loads of stores going backwards and forwards and the SSM going barmy! One thing I'll always remember is the sitting around, waiting to move out of camp. I think the longest was nearly two days. Total boredom.
Half the fun was seeing everyone trollied down town attempting to get back to units! Hard work if they were based out Gatow way and not much money left for a taxi!
 
#12
I remember the Pads had to drive 40 Kms to get to where the singlies, and unit, were. Loads of time to get the 58 pattern webbing dusted off. The other good thing was that as the Pads drove to camp they must have been sober, so us singlies would have a couple of drinks so we didn't have to drive, but weren't too leathered to get a bollocking. Those were the days.
 
#13
I remember an AE call out in Berlin Dec 1984, some joker at Bde HQ must have a right laugh calling out the Bde. Those nasty hooters giving it plenty right in the middle of an all ranks Xmas CSE do! What a joke Half the Bn P1ssed up, while the other half ran off home to the pads areas to collect there call out kit!
Rovers towing rovers, 4 tonners towing 4 tonners, Our slack hand full of 432-30's sat on the square refusing to start. All ended up with a giant cake and arrse party in the grunnywald. At least someone had the decency to let the show go on, don't worry it was shat.
 
#14
Active Edge - what a board-game it was - Rumour Control started a week in advance - Fun watching the sprogs though!

Ranger_Danger said:
Ah fond memories, Brigade Duty Clerk, get called to the Comcen during the night to sign for a "Flash" scurry back to desk and get the folder out marked "Active Edge - Immediate Action List" Info Garrision Duty Officer who is really hacked off because you got him\her out of bed then sit down and start phoning:

Call Bde Comd at home - get a huge b*llocking.
Call Bde Maj at home - get a huge b*llocking
Call various SO2 & SO3 type people at home - get a huge b*llocking
Call Bde Chief Clerk at home - get a huge b*llocking

Hmmm, a pattern emerging there. Only joy of which was being able to say "Sorry Sir, too busy to listen to that" then hanging up on them :)

Having had several major b*llockings start stacking all the Bde Crash Out Kit in the corridor and be prepared to load it all FECKIN NOW! into one of the Sigs 432's

Be accused constantly of "Not have told Col\Maj\Capt\Lt so-and-so" because said officer has failed to turn up and YOU must be to blame Cpl. Ho hum.

Spend rest of night helping Sig Sqn load piles of kit then sit in the Cam Cage of a 432 all feckin night and well into the next morning waiting for something to happen.

Once you are totally frozen, soaked to the skin and utterly dejected bug out to a none too easy to get to location and set up "The Complex" pretend to be warry marking loads of maps with a chinagraph and making Officer's tea for them.

Do a few stags on guard and a couple of Stand To's

ENDEX

Wait for what seems like feckin forever then back to camp, unpack it all and hope you are on leave next time it happens...

Oh the joys of Clerking. Gosh we were rather warry back then :)
 
#15
Have to say that SACEUR's Active Edge was the nightmare of all nightmares, dont get caught back in camp trying to recover some bits left behind when you crashed out by one of his (many) spies..ermm I mean aides
 
#16
Got told a story years ago about some unit or other who were crashed out by SACEUR. The umpires found a pistol still in the armoury which was traced to a ball-breaker of a major. He had deployed with a wooden replica!
 
#17
ObnoxiousJockGit said:
Got told a story years ago about some unit or other who were crashed out by SACEUR. The umpires found a pistol still in the armoury which was traced to a ball-breaker of a major. He had deployed with a wooden replica!
This was 4 Armd Wksp 1983/ 1984. Maj was OC one of the Coys. When asked by inspection team in the field if he had cleaned his weapon he insisted on saying yes. Inspection team then asked to see his pistol (having already checked the armoury knowing his pistol was there). Unit failed the inspection on the spot. CO got said Maj posted from his unit asp on return from the field. lol :?
 
#18
slim-shandy wrote:

Regimental legend had it that one orderly officer got the call but was slightly "Out of sorts" and so fell asleep before passing the message on. Result irate Brigade and incandescent CO. Never did find out if it was true.
This is supposed to have happened in a certain Irish Cavalry Regiment with splendid green trousers, shortly before I joined in 1990.

Orderly Officer was asleep on top of the phone when it rang, took the message and then returned to the land of nod. However when called later to confirm that the Regiment had deployed he claimed they had before falling asleep again. The Colonel later got a call from Bde congratulating him on a very quick crash out, and (being very quick thinking) thanked the Brigadier and said yes, the Regiment had now recovered to barracks.

Once the phone went down the subaltern in question was summoned for an interview with beret, without coffee and without dogs (the Colonel didn't like shouting in front of his dogs, so a good combat indicator of a fearsome b*llocking was to see them in the Adjt's office when reporting), although rumours of the punishment being a "month of Sundays" (30 weekend duties) were never confirmed.
 
#19
I do recall the chaos of an Active Edge called at Paderborn in the early eighties. Some bright spark had neglected to note that a certain tank regiment were being "edged" whilst their own barracks was being shared by a TA light gun regiment and an RCT unit both from Geordie land. Apart from their inability to move any vehicles due to the presence of three times as many visiting vehicles as the normally held on the tank-park, the picket commander was laid out by a Geordie bombardier who was awoken in error - the error being that you didn't wake up Bom Mc**** when he was pissed. I watched transfixed from the window of the block we were in as military chaos reigned supreme. The CO of the host regiment threw his beret on the ground four or five times, each time in response to some more bad news brought to him by his acolytes. I also allegedly saw their RSM punch a sergeant behind the fire-picket's little hanger but it was quite dark and it could have been two other SNCOs!!
 
#20
Ranger_Danger said:
Ah fond memories, Brigade Duty Clerk, get called to the Comcen during the night to sign for a "Flash" scurry back to desk and get the folder out marked "Active Edge - Immediate Action List" Info Garrision Duty Officer who is really hacked off because you got him\her out of bed then sit down and start phoning:

Call Bde Comd at home - get a huge b*llocking.
Call Bde Maj at home - get a huge b*llocking
Call various SO2 & SO3 type people at home - get a huge b*llocking
Call Bde Chief Clerk at home - get a huge b*llocking

Hmmm, a pattern emerging there. Only joy of which was being able to say "Sorry Sir, too busy to listen to that" then hanging up on them :)

~

Be accused constantly of "Not have told Col\Maj\Capt\Lt so-and-so" because said officer has failed to turn up and YOU must be to blame Cpl. Ho hum.
Never happened in our unit. Key Personnel got phone call "Active Edge"
CO's Driver dispatched to pick up CO, 2 I/C & OC (Staff Car) Adj & QM lived close to camp.
First available Driver dispatched to pick up other key personnel (LWB LR) RSM lived close to camp
Duty Driver placed on standby to Duty Officer (Emergency Taxi)
Other key personnel also picked up on route.
4 x MK's to remote MQ's for Pads
2 x MK's to truck singles to sub-depots

Re: THREAT Magazine, SOXMIS and ACTIVE EDGE
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:28 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah, Active Edge memories:

The QM having spasms because every Chubb padlock ("starred items" at about £100 a pop) had been bolt-cropped off across the entire Regiment.....
Depot Duty Corporal awaits first SNCO with Safe Combination to access Ammo Depot Key Boxes (Live ammo was never issued for Active Edge. Pallets of Inert SIMMO was used) But Keys is on Action List, Besides MHE Garages and CQMS still needed to be unlocked. (Little secret here # All the Corporals knew the safe combinations anyway! but played the game to a limit of not dropping someone in it)
Bunkers had twin 7-lever chubb recessed locks into steel doors - Could not be opened by Bolt Croppers! Safes had combinations so no one could lose the master key......
 

Latest Threads