Opération Serval - Mali.

This is a recently released picture and it is interesting because it looks like this Légionnaire is preparing the equipment captured on a terrorist IOT conduct technical exploitation operations.

TEOs started within the FRA forces in AFG and a lot are conducted in the Sahel region too.

1590855936509.png

If the current Op Barkhane is FFL heavy (for example, 75% of the 1er REC is deployed together, its largest deployment since 1991 and GW1), the next will be dominated by paratroopers.

One BG, BG Bercheny (name of the Hungarian founder of the 1st Hussars) will be centered on the 1st RHP (1st ABN Hussars).

The other will be based on the 3°RPIMa (former colonial paratroopers). The name of the 3°RPIMa BG will be "Bruno", after the callsign of legendary CO Col Bigeard, DSO, who was in command of the 3°RPC, forebear of the 3°RPIMa, during the war in Algeria. Bigeard had been a Jedburgh during WW2 hence his DSO.

There will also be a strong ABN Engineers element, provided by the 17 ABN Engineers Rgt, the 17 RGP.

This means that the field commanders will try their best to conduct ABN Ops during their deployments....the 3°RPIMa, 1er RHP and 17 RGP have all already conducted Op jumps in the Sahel region in the past few years.

This is a recently released picture and it is interesting because it looks like this Légionnaire is preparing the equipment captured on a terrorist IOT conduct technical exploitation operations.

TEOs started within the FRA forces in AFG and a lot are conducted in the Sahel region too.

View attachment 477903

loose dets bad drills or was there a wee box

As mentioned previously, the 1st ABN Hussars Rgt (1er RHP) will provide the nucleus of one of the desert BG (GTD in French) that will do the next Op Barkhane rotation.

To mark the fact that most of the 1er RHP will be on Op, the pennants of the deployed squadron are now flown on the regimental color mast (on the right on the below picture).

1591203168365.png

The 1er RHP is composed of 3 sabre sqdn on AMX-10RC, 2 on VBLs, one Logistics and Command sqdn, 1 reserve sqdn and 1 HALO Tp.

AMX 10 RCR SEPAR crewed by the 1er REC. The hydraulic suspensions are in the "low" position hence the aspect of the vehicle.

The picture was taken in the Menaka FOB, 250km from Gao, in the North of the Malian Liptako area.
The FOB (BOA in French) is used to refresh units between two operations. Troops can sleep in folding cots, use a field shower and vehicle can carry out maintenance.

EZl0YtJWoA4fN2R.jpg
EZl0YtIWsAE_K0F.jpg

BZ
BBC News - Al-Qaeda chief in north Africa Abdelmalek Droukdel killed - France

I wonder how close to the Northern Border this took place?

Some pictures of a recent LOG convoys in the Barkhane AOO. The huge distance make those convoys something very different from similar LOG movements in other AOOs.

Consequently, French LOG and REME units have been considerably "operationalized" by the past 7 years of constant Ops in austere and hostile areas.

An approaching sandstorm
img_20200527_152408-resolution-de-l-ecran.jpg

A mix of military (IVECO PP LOG and Scania) and civilian trucks routinely contracted by Barkhane

p5170009-resolution-de-l-ecran.jpg

FP units mounted on Panhard VBLs and VABs

dscn1144-resolution-de-l-ecran.jpg

The Engineers at work

dscn0948.jpg

Fuel bowser of the French armed forces POL service (SEA)

dsc00791.jpg

The French have REME? I thought that you dropped the 'Royal' about the same time that Louis XVIs head dropped into the basket at the Place de la Revolution in 1793.
Namely they have "Train" (RLC) and "Matériel" (REME)

R can also stand for Republican you know, as in CRS.....

:smile:

NemoIII

War Hero
Namely they have "Train" (RLC) and "Matériel" (REME)

R can also stand for Republican you know, as in CRS.....

:smile:

Absolute excellent tread so far.

Just a quick detail, what standard is the french army mechanics trained to?

Are they like the British army where they are expected to work on anything and everything? Do the French use many civilian mechanics?

Absolute excellent tread so far.

Just a quick detail, what standard is the french army mechanics trained to?

Are they like the British army where they are expected to work on anything and everything? Do the French use many civilian mechanics?
There are of course various trades amongst mechanics (mobility, armament, turrets, CIS equipment etc.).

Regarding standards, it is hard to tell as I am not a fitter but maintenance in the field or on Op works well as far as I have experienced...there is a "can do" attitude and a pride is making sure equipment are ready by next morning which is pleasant to witness, especially while on Op.

The way maintenance works in France, everything is done for max availability of deployed equipment even if it means that units in garrison suffer from lesser availability of equipment.

There are some civilians but mostly in "3rd echelon" maintenance depot. Commercial range vehicles can also be maintained by your ordinary Peugeot or Citroën garage, depending on the age of the said vehicle.

The dets come in specific containers with screw tops in the French forces. This is captured equipment.
Apologies for the lateness of the reply, i was meaning did they come loose or did the container remain out of picture.
Last time i looked our boxes were tape sealed

Apologies for the lateness of the reply, i was meaning did they come loose or did the container remain out of picture.
Last time i looked our boxes were tape sealed
If you mean how detonators are issued to the French forces, they are held in specific hard rubber containers with screw tops. The dets visible on the picture were probably taken in a cache or on a captured or killed terrorist

In order to sustain national industries, the French MoD has announced the order of 8 H225 Caracal helicopters (below), 1 ALSR (same type of AC as the Shadow R1) and 2 MRTT (A330 air refueler/Cargo) for a total of 600 million Euros.

All these assets will be useful in the Sahel region.

1591732673698.png

1591732999495.png

ALSR

EP8xaGGWsAEgccf.jpg

If you mean how detonators are issued to the French forces, they are held in specific hard rubber containers with screw tops. The dets visible on the picture were probably taken in a cache or on a captured or killed terrorist
I was meaning were they found loose when taken from the enemy, which kinda goes against safe handling.

Are the new helos replacing tired airframes or additional increase in airlift

Sustaining national industries sounds like a win win for those needing resupplied

I was meaning were they found loose when taken from the enemy, which kinda goes against safe handling.

Are the new helos replacing tired airframes or additional increase in airlift

Sustaining national industries sounds like a win win for those needing resupplied
They need heavy lift, not puma heavy.

Latest Threads