Opération Serval - Mali.

If Mali signs a security deal with Wagner, France threatens to pull out its troops of Mali (French foreign affairs minister)

I would argue that a thankless task is best walked away from. Leave and only return on your terms.

If Mali signs a security deal with Wagner, France threatens to pull out its troops of Mali (French foreign affairs minister)

Do you think he is serious and that could happen fantassin? Would be said to think all those French service men and women died for nothing.

Do you think he is serious and that could happen fantassin? Would be said to think all those French service men and women died for nothing.

Leaving Mali yes, the area no.

The investment in blood pays dividends in many areas, such as UN votes support. It's not confined to Mali it's regional. The whole West Africa region is already very worried at the prospect of Op Barkhane reducing its size.

Leaving Mali yes, the area no.

The investment in blood pays dividends in many areas, such as UN votes support. It's not confined to Mali it's regional. The whole West Africa region is already very worried at the prospect of Op Barkhane reducing its size.
Does the worry show in effort !

Dread

LE
With a bit of luck Wagner Group will be a bit more effective at eliminating the threat, as they a. don't care about rules of engagement and b. are not subject to the ICC.

Sadly I suspect the real outcome is that the Russians will brass up plenty of innocent locals and act as a recruiting serjeant for EIGS before getting their arrses handed to them on a plate (as I believe happened in Mozambique not that long ago?) as they have zero HUMINT, little to no SIGINT, and I'm not sure they have many helicopters to cabby about in.

With a bit of luck Wagner Group will be a bit more effective at eliminating the threat, as they a. don't care about rules of engagement and b. are not subject to the ICC.

Sadly I suspect the real outcome is that the Russians will brass up plenty of innocent locals and act as a recruiting serjeant for EIGS before getting their arrses handed to them on a plate (as I believe happened in Mozambique not that long ago?) as they have zero HUMINT, little to no SIGINT, and I'm not sure they have many helicopters to cabby about in.

Exactly. Their performance in Mozambique was very poor.

It could actually offer a double whammy for Macron: an excellent reason to leave Mali and a proof that GPC also happens in Africa as France has been saying for a while. In a pre-electoral period that would be good for him.

Exactly. Their performance in Mozambique was very poor.

It could actually offer a double whammy for Macron: an excellent reason to leave Mali and a proof that GPC also happens in Africa as France has been saying for a while. In a pre-electoral period that would be good for him.

Mali is a hole in Frances pocket.

Dread

LE
So why is Russia getting involved in Mali?

Options include:
  • Making the EU look weak for shits and giggles.
  • Russia getting access to Mali's gold, bauxite, manganese, iron ore, limestone, phosphates and uranium (once they kill the annoying people stopping it being extracted).
  • By propping up Mali, Russia ensures neighbouring Mauritania won't crumble (and so they can continue to strip the country of its minerals and fish stocks).
  • Putin likes it rough and wants a source of BBC.

Last edited:
Here's is a pic of him

1631777384190.png

They are really not good at this sort of thing at all, and have no real Africa experince or understanding*, fortunetly being Russian there is no racism at all, oh no.

* minus the Soviet one of supporting and training Communist regimes along Soviet lines, which is not really the same thing.

Latest Threads