Opération Serval - Mali.

For the non-French speakers (like me) thank goodness France24 (vingt-quatre, about the limit of my counting there) has an English article!

For the non-French speakers (like me) thank goodness France24 (vingt-quatre, about the limit of my counting there) has an English article!

So we’re seeing the ‘Afghanistan Moment’ in the Sahel.

It'd probably be cheaper all round to just recolonise most of such places, and take over what little government functions they have.

Well, that would require another generation of "District Officers" willing to learn, lead and govern?

Given how good we're doing at home with governance, with the capabilities and resources of a first world homeland - how well are we going to do rocking up in an under-developed patchwork state with riven human terrain and limited resources?

We'd not be just driving through the middle of Tinzaouaten in blue berets on Friday souk and saying "Fear not we're here to find terrorists", whilst Pte Boumer does his best with a three month DSL [Insert Local Dialect Here] Course

qzuoMHs.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of "The Great Game", but we've sort of f*cked our capability (and reputation). There was a cracking read where someone asked the rhetorical question why CIA had little capability in some parts of the world, and the reply was people preferred the embassy circuit with better chances of promotion and where dysentery isn't a way of life.

In the night of June 13-14, 2019, a French Gazelle helicopter was shot down by jihadists in Mali during a violent combat. Its crew was rescued in interesting circumstances.

English subtitles

In the night of June 13-14, 2019, a French Gazelle helicopter was shot down by jihadists in Mali during a violent combat. Its crew was rescued in interesting circumstances.

English subtitles

Top blokes.

An Op Barkhane operations in Niger has led to the capture of an ISGS jihadist leader who had been freed by the malian government last October.

Highly likely he will be handed over to the Niger authority to avoid another "get out of jail" card from the malians.

An Op Barkhane operations in Niger has led to the capture of an ISGS jihadist leader who had been freed by the malian government last October.

Highly likely he will be handed over to the Niger authority to avoid another "get out of jail" card from the malians.

Whats the French for 'Its all a bit of a buggers muddle.'

Element of GTD (desert BG) Bison which is mostly composed of the 126 infantry regiment under fire in the Inani forest in the Gourma region of Mali.

An Adjudant-chef (WO1) calls for fires. They were deliveted by a supporting 120 mm mortar section attached to GTD Bison.
E36H00gWUAALiBL.jpeg

Two French WIA yesterday in an ISGS ambush in the Menaka region, as well as one KIA from Niger.

The end result was 10 EKIA as well as weapons and motorbikes seized.