Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Onward Cyber Warriors, Marching as to War

They mentioned social media and the interwebs, so does that sort of include arrse?

I was thinking along the lines of the Calcutta Light Horse and Operation Creek, when a load of retired old duffers took it upon themselves to attack a German merchant ship. Operation Creek - Wikipedia

Perhaps we could form our own variant on arrse and do a forum raid on Pravda? @KGB_resident will have to tell us what the Russian version of arrse is.

Another divisional headquarters? Another bunch of officers posted to jobs they're clueless about?
Another pointless PR exercise trying to hide the lack of effective combat capability in the army?

They mentioned social media and the interwebs, so does that sort of include arrse?

I was thinking along the lines of the Calcutta Light Horse and Operation Creek, when a load of retired old duffers took it upon themselves to attack a German merchant ship. Operation Creek - Wikipedia

Perhaps we could form our own variant on arrse and do a forum raid on Pravda? @KGB_resident will have to tell us what the Russian version of arrse is.

Or if you're really feeling brave do a forum raid on Mumsnet

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd be very upset if chetlenham was'nt doing this a'llready , giving the Russians, N Koreans etc a bit of payback. That would be a good use of my tax pounds for sure .

Or if you're really feeling brave do a forum raid on Mumsnet

I imagine Mumsnet is acutally quite swept up, the last time I did some searches on Shodan when bored against UK internet facing stuff I went white.

I not not uber-geek, and spotted around 143k public facing points I could have stuck NotPetya in and really messed someone's day.

Back-up and patch, ladies and gents - because our network-centric way of life hangs by a thread these days.

We're meant to be seeing off the Russians, not starting WW3!

It's cyber.

Doesn't count.

Obvously only kinetic counts. Apparently.

Still, rather go to war in my PJs.

It's cyber.

Doesn't count.

Obvously only kinetic counts. Apparently.

Not necessarily. What's good for one side is as good for the other, though in NATO's case it would require the agreement of 30 nations, while in Russia all it would take is for Vlad to decide 'fights on'.

“A serious cyberattack could trigger Article 5, where an attack against one ally is treated as an attack against all” - Jens Stoltenberg, NATO Secretary General, 27 Aug 2019

Not necessarily. What's good for one side is as good for the other, though in NATO's case it would require the agreement of 30 nations, while in Russia all it would take is for Vlad to decide 'fights on'.

“A serious cyberattack could trigger Article 5, where an attack against one ally is treated as an attack against all” - Jens Stoltenberg, NATO Secretary General, 27 Aug 2019

More to the point what member state is going to released their cyber capabilities and doctrine for use by NATO? I expect that there's a 1000 page Op Order explaining that they will do something, not quite sure what though. The reality being that the SPAMs will be the ones doing the malleting.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
More to the point what member state is going to released their cyber capabilities and doctrine for use by NATO? I expect that there's a 1000 page Op Order explaining that they will do something, not quite sure what though. The reality being that the SPAMs will be the ones doing the malleting.
This. Actual Fifth Realm capabilities are one of the things member nations only really discuss openly where there is a strong extant relationship which is exclusive.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

Filmed as "The Sea Wolves" with Roger Moore, if memory serves.

Lordy, I saw that on release in the 5-6-7 Cinema in Scunthorpe... I'm officially old.

Wasn't I meant to be issued a smelly leather armchair and some Werther's Originals?

Tool

LE
Filmed as "The Sea Wolves" with Roger Moore, if memory serves.

Lordy, I saw that on release in the 5-6-7 Cinema in Scunthorpe... I'm officially old.

Wasn't I meant to be issued a smelly leather armchair and some Werther's Originals?
Werther's and leather armchairs supplied free. Smells on armchairs to be provided by personnel for that individual touch.