Only Smarties have the answer!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by chocolate_frog, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I shudder to think what was in the packed lunches we got when I was in the army. I think it speaks volumes that whatever it was almost invariably got returned to the cook house. I don't blame the cooks so much as those "hay boxes". Whatever it was that went in there came out a mush a few hours later.

2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A Scottish delicacy.

One Scotch pie, piping hot straight from baker's oven, served inside a fresh morning roll.

That way, roll catches all the lovely juices that would otherwise have escaped/trickled over clothing, fingers, face etc when eating said pie and also provides a method of holding pie currently too hot to handle as straight from oven.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bless the Scots. Ever pragmatic!

4. Never had a sugar sandwich?

White bread, butter and sprinkled with sugar.

If a smartie sarnie is a "shocking filling" then I would assume that a dripping buttie would probably come under the heading of child abuse and if you managed to get crunchy bits and then added salt then who ever made it would be off to the Hague for crimes against humanity.

• Like Like x 4
  5. My Grandmother (a Scot) was a huge fan of brown sugar sandwiches, she once foisted a hideous sarnie filled with a paste of butter and Horlicks powder. Fucking revolting.
    can anyone remember Heinz Sandwich Spread - a jar of brightly coloured bits in a salad creamesque substance? I used to love that stuff so thought I would give the Kinder the benefit of a trip down memory lane. We had Sandwich Spread sarnies, Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodles, Space raider Pickled onion Crisps and Tunnocks Teacakes (things I survived on at boarding school) and all bar the latter were gopping.

6. Mate of mine used to have lemon curd with cheese sandwiches, which were in fact fukin lovely.

7. Cheese and marmalade............. lovely

8. Peanut butter wads. Food of the gods. If you fancy something sweet, you can slap some jam or marmalade on it, if not you can smear mustard, ketchup of brown sauce on it. Now that's what I call versatility.

MsG

9. Heinz Sandwich Spread was known as camel kotch (vomit) in these parts. Disgusting stuff. Biltong and Marmite sandwiches were always well received. Just pound the biltong to dust with a hammer and sprinkle on the Marmite once spread.

10. Fuck me, a sarnie thread!

That makes a refreshing change!

11. Oh Biltong! Drool... Bloody impossible to find really good stuff in the UK. Which reminds me - anything between bread with Mrs Ball's Chutney is amazing, particularly Boerewors Sausage. Nom nom nom

12. Whats wrong with smartie sandwiches? People put jam in sandwiches, so whats the problem? I admit, its not that normal...but so what. My sister used to like tomatoe sauce sandwiches which I thought was a tad odd.

13. Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella
    Ban Nutella

• Like Like x 4
  14. I knew a girl who used to eat banana and salad cream sandwichs.

In her defence she was 8 months pregnant when I saw her eat them.