ONLY IN AMERICA........

"This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don't know why it happened," said Mr Bizilj, a hospital director from Ashford, Connecticut.
Everyone else does!

What do you expect from the land of the free and the home of the stupid? Once again a lax gun culture leads to the loss of life.

As I have said before on other threads to do with shootings, it doesn't matter how careful you are with guns, once they get into the hands of idiots (and they often do), innocent people die. The only people who should have access to guns are military and law enforcement personnel, who are fully trained, both technically and morally, who have a mandate to use lethal force and can be called to account should they do anything wrong.

(Pre-empting the flak from my comment above) Anyone who says that driving a car is just as dangerous, and more people die every year from RTAs - STOP!. They are not the same thing and you know it. To drive a car you have to be tested to a relatively high standard, in order that you are safe to do so. A car is not a weapon and was never designed as one. You wouldn't put an eight year old child in the drivers seat of a car and tell him to crack on as that would be insane, so why let him handle a fully automatic weapon FFS?

Just another tragic loss of life due to someone else's stupidity.

Ish.

joey_deacons_lad said:
Fcukwits can get thier hands on firearms here and they have been banned for a long time http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5009016.ece
True, but it is a lot more difficult to get your hands on weapons here than in the good ole US of A. They are not sold at gun shows and they should not have access to military weapons, like the Uzi automatic weapon as in this case, and explosives (unless you are buying from the RRS of course).

Ish.

ishinryu said:
What do you expect from the land of the free and the home of the stupid? Once again a lax gun culture leads to the loss of life.

As I have said before on other threads to do with shootings, it doesn't matter how careful you are with guns, once they get into the hands of idiots (and they often do), innocent people die. The only people who should have access to guns are military and law enforcement personnel, who are fully trained, both technically and morally, who have a mandate to use lethal force and can be called to account should they do anything wrong.Ish.
The Firearms Act in England with its ban on handguns and semi-auto rifles is an overwhelming success. The crime rate in England has more than doubled since the last Firearms Act, whereas in USA there has been a steady decrease since 1991. Super idea lets confiscate all weapons in civilian hands, that would really make the criminals happy. :roll:

The guns that have been used in the majority of shooting masacres in the US and in Europe, and killings in this case, have been done using legally held firearms, appropriated by unauthorised, untrained users (And I don't mean being taught how to shoot tin cans off your fence in some hick town in the US midwest) .

The firearms act took legally held weapons out of the hands of everyone, because a few people could not be trusted. Since 1991 how many school massacres/children shooting themselves or their friends have occured in the US? How many have occured in the UK since the firearms ban in the UK? None. Although you are never going to be able to totally stop the gang bangers getting hold of illegal weapons in the UK, we have still stopped children and psychos from getting hold of weapons and going out and killing other people just because they have a grudge against the world or some serious mental illness.

ishinryu said:
The guns that have been used in the majority of shooting masacres in the US and in Europe, and killings in this case, have been done using legally held firearms, appropriated by unauthorised, untrained users (And I don't mean being taught how to shoot tin cans off your fence in some hick town in the US midwest) .

The firearms act took legally held weapons out of the hands of everyone, because a few people could not be trusted. Since 1991 how many school massacres/children shooting themselves or their friends have occured in the US? How many have occured in the UK since the firearms ban in the UK? None. Although you are never going to be able to totally stop the gang bangers getting hold of illegal weapons in the UK, we have still stopped children and psychos from getting hold of weapons and going out and killing other people just because they have a grudge against the world or some serious mental illness.

Errr..fly in the cream type point but if you're talking about Dunblaine the LOCAL Firearms Officer had recommended NOT issuing a licence to said nutter. A Senior Officer signed off on issuing a licence and is alleged to have prevented the removal of said licence and siezure of wepaons from said nutter. If just half of that story is true.......then hwat's the point of licencing regime that doesn't work.

...The firearms act took legally held weapons out of the hands of everyone, because a few people could not be trusted. Since 1991 how many school massacres/children shooting themselves or their friends have occured in the US? How many have occured in the UK since the firearms ban in the UK? None....
I guess you forgot this one up in the lawless North: :wink:

Mar. 13, 1996: Thomas Hamilton, 43, dressed in black and wearing earmuffs to protect himself from the noise, entered an elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, and sprayed 105 bullets into the gym striking 29 people before killing himself. Sixteen five and 6-year-olds and a teacher died.

As for the tragic death of the boy at a supervised event in the People's Republic of Massachussettes, you can depend on their knee jerk legislators to take action. :roll:

Both the boy's father and an instructor were present when the accident happened on Sunday at the gun show in Westfield.

State legislators are now considering drafting a bill banning under-21s from firing automatic weapons, reports say.

"We should take swift action to provide some reasonable restrictions on this type of unreasonable practice," Congressman Michael Costello told the Boston Globe newspaper.

"It's almost indescribable that within a year of leaving a booster seat, an eight-year-old can be holding a submachine gun."

Massachusetts already has strict gun control laws that require parental consent and the presence of a certified and licensed instructor before a child is allowed to fire a weapon.
Massachusetts - the home of one of the most liberal leaning senators, Teddy Kennedy. They make it tough to own a firearm legally in the People's Republic but I guess it's OK if you drown a girl in your car while driving drunk so long as your pop has shed-loads of money and people feel sorry for you because your brothers were killed.

The kid should not have been allowed to fire the Uzi plain and simple. His father is a fuckwit and deserves everything he gets. But I will fight any and all efforts made by stupid cnuts to infringe upon my Second Amendment right to keep and bear firearms. I don't want the USA to go the way of Australia and the U.K. where it's against the law to have weapons of any kind for any purpose.

Alsacien

MIA
"Massachusetts has strict gun laws that require parental consent" [before allowing 8 year olds to fire fully automatic military weapons at fairs that trained soldiers spend dozens of hours being trained on before being issued with live ammunition and using full automatic fire on approved ranges.....]

Kitmarlowe said:
ishinryu said:

Errr..fly in the cream type point but if you're talking about Dunblaine the LOCAL Firearms Officer had recommended NOT issuing a licence to said nutter. A Senior Officer signed off on issuing a licence and is alleged to have prevented the removal of said licence and siezure of wepaons from said nutter. If just half of that story is true.......then hwat's the point of licencing regime that doesn't work.
Exactly - The licencing system didn't work and the overwhelming public feeling was that all privately held weapons should be banned, as they eventually were. This was a measure that was carried through by both a Tory and a Labour government, at the will of the people. It may seem unfair to those people who legally held weapons and never commited any crime, but it was democracy in action and it worked.

When it comes to a question of people lives, I (and many others) believed that allowing private citizens to have weapons, primarily designed to end life, the risk was too great. Only a blanket ban has prevented another Dunblane in the UK.

I am sure that people will argue that school pupils are still getting injured and killed due to the use of knives in killings and stabbings, but can you imagine the body count if the little thugs had access to legally held guns?

There has only been one incident where a nutter has gone to attack a school with a knife - Wolverhapmpton, 8 Jul 1996, and all those kids survived.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people"is the mantra that keeps being rolled out everytime a gun killing happens. I would counter that yes, but people with guns kill other people really well.

Before the diehards counter with the fact that other things can be used as weapons to kill ofther people, please let me remind you that those things are not designed to kill. Hell, I could kill a person with a pencil, if I knew where to stick it to do the most damage (though the eye socket into the brain seems to be a goody, or through the carotid artery is another) however, the pencil was never designed to be a weapon. Guns should only be in the hands of those who need them.

Ish.

total fuckwitidness on everybody at that range it was a micro uzi possibly the most uncontrollable smg you can get :roll:
spams tend to have a good safety record with automatic weapons as they cost so much and are hard to get hold of.

ishinryu said:
Guns should only be in the hands of those who need them.

Ish.
And when the crackhead is breaking into my house at 0230 and the nearest cop is 7 miles and a phone call away, guess what?

Who the hell are you to decide who needs what?

Please continue to maintain a large body of water between us. TIA.

xromad said:
ishinryu said:
Guns should only be in the hands of those who need them.

Ish.
And when the crackhead is breaking into my house at 0230 and the nearest cop is 7 miles and a phone call away, guess what?

Who the hell are you to decide who needs what?

Please continue to maintain a large body of water between us. TIA.
I'm sure this has been done on here before but:
Xromad, if you live in a country where everybody is armed, you will inevitably create more gun deaths (either accidental or deliberate)
If you live in a country like Britain where it is virtually impossible to own and keep a gun at home, you will have less gun deaths.
However guns are still used in Britain and gun deaths do occur. The difference is I don't expect every junkie, wino and burgular to be armed because it's not that easy to get a gun over here.
But I do agree with you on one thing....I am glad we have an ocean between us!

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Other (inc Accident)

USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36
Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07
Switzerland (1998) 0.50 5.8 0.10
Canada (2002) 0.4 2.0 0.04
Finland (2003) 0.35 4.45 0.10
Australia (2001) 0.24 1.34 0.10
France (2001) 0.21 3.4 0.49
England/Wales (2002) 0.15 0.2 0.03
Scotland (2002) 0.06 0.2 0.02
Japan (2002) 0.02 0.04 0

Data taken from Cukier and Sidel (2006) The Global Gun Epidemic. Praeger Security International. Westport.

Some Statistics from the USA

In 1999, there were 28,874 gun-related deaths in the United States - over 80 deaths every day. (Source: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (8).)

Between 1993-1999, gun deaths in the United States have declined 27%. (SOURCE: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars/default.htm, WISQARS, National Center for Injury Control and Prevention, accessed March, 2002.)

In 1999, 58% of all gun deaths were suicides, and 38% were homicides. (SOURCE: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (8).)

Of all suicides, 57% occurred by firearm (SOURCE: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars/default.htm, Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS), National Center for Injury Control and Prevention, accessed March, 2002.)

In 2000, 75,685 people (27/100,000) suffered non-fatal firearm gunshot injuries. (SOURCE: Federal Bureau of Investigation. Uniform Crime Reports for the United States: Crime in the United States 2000: Uniform Crime Reports. Washington, D.C: U.S. Department of Justice; 2001.)