Only 36 working tanks?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Usual "we don't need it so let it rot/rape it for spares"

E

EScotia

Unless they have got rid of all those in CHE then it's bollocks. High Readiness should mean being in users' hands and able to be fully operative within a short timespan with the required fully trained and current operatives. That we only have 36 is surprising considering that's less than a Regiments worth over 3 MBT units, but almost certainly much better than Chieftain ever achieved.

Perhaps they mean we can only deploy 36 to 'TES' with appliqué armour etc?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Unless they have got rid of all those in CHE then it's bollocks. High Readiness should mean being in users' hands and able to be fully operative within a short timespan with the required fully trained and current operatives. That we only have 36 is surprising considering that's less than a Regiments worth over 3 MBT units, but almost certainly much better than Chieftain ever achieved.

But Chieftain was supported by infantry capable of drinking on an heroic scale and equipped with the SLR.

I suspect this is about playing with definitions and that something similar could have been produced every year since 1945. MBTs aren't the highest priority at the moment, unless and until someone decides that we need a head-on collision with Vladimir.

Last edited:
Wfm means leaving one sub-unit's worth of vehicles per regiment. One squadron is 12 veh's making 36 in unit lines for trg etc. The rest loiter in CHE ready to roll at a moments notice....or so the RLC assure us.

Personally I'm dubious that the system would work in an emergency but there we go.

Last edited:

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
I'm sure the journo asked someone how many tanks could deploy in ten minutes and the answer was 36, subsequently taken out of context.

Or I hope so, at least.

Theres probably about 36 in BATUS that are pretty much in constant use for 8 months of the year, then undergo winter repair.

Most are in Ashchurch in pres in environmental buildings. They would take a while to get up and running, but nothing that couldn't be acheived within the usual escalation of threat.

jim30

LE
Call me boring, but what threat exists which will need more than 36 panzers deployed at 'high' readiness? How many went to Telic in 03?

The UK needs a lot of diverse capabilities but keeping hundreds of tanks at high readiness to move is madness unless you fund the equally large supporting arms and logistics elements to go with this and there is no political desire to do this now.

Similarly, how many countries outside the UK, France and USA could deploy a regimental sized force of tanks away from their border and fight effectively with it again?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah MBTs are fairly irrelevant, far more important that we spend our time wandering around shopping centres desperately trying to fill Reservist liability. :)

I didn't say they were irrelevant, simply that they're not the highest priority given everything else that's going on at the moment.

Wasn't there a similar one about the RAF a few years back, where it was revealed they had an availability rate of something like 20%.

A later more in depth statement clarified that this figure was only those aircraft ready to go. Aircraft flying or on / awaiting turn around etc were not included. A little bit of creative journalism rendered un available into U/S.

I would not be surprised to find similar mischief at play here.

I'd be delighted to know how we can actually rapidly deploy 36 tanks anywhere...the state of defence strategic enablers is even more parlous than the combat force elements required to fight...still...logistic shit just happens and contractors / reserves will sort the whole thing out...

Call me boring, but what threat exists which will need more than 36 panzers deployed at 'high' readiness? How many went to Telic in 03?

The UK needs a lot of diverse capabilities but keeping hundreds of tanks at high readiness to move is madness unless you fund the equally large supporting arms and logistics elements to go with this and there is no political desire to do this now.

Similarly, how many countries outside the UK, France and USA could deploy a regimental sized force of tanks away from their border and fight effectively with it again?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Russia are prepping to send renaissant 3rd Shock Army towards the West again, in addition there is an X fold increase in Baltic Air and Sea encounters. Now couple that to increased counter Western Russian propaganda and in Latvia alone, elements of Latvian Army loosing the plot and wishing to go vigilante against indigenous Russians and the mix in a becoming explosive.

Last edited:

bob231

War Hero
Russia are prepping to send renaissant 3rd Shock Army towards the West again, in addition there is an X fold increase in Baltic Air and Sea encounters. Now couple that to increased counter Western Russian propaganda and in Latvia alone, elements of Latvian Army loosing the plot and wishing to go vigilante againgst indigenous Russians and the mix in a becoming explosive.
My bold. I don't suppose there's any English-language reporting on this, is there?

Latest Threads