Only ‘cretins’ jeer forces, says John Hutton

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gust.Avrakotos, Oct 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only ‘cretins’ jeer forces, says Hutton

Don’t know if this has been covered, but he isnt thinking of ditching A400m is he? Its a long old walk to Afghanistan after all!
  2. He'll doubtless, as a student of military history, be thinking of the days when units were posted east for decades at a time and drafts sent over as needed. No need for an airbridge when the troopship's on the tide.
  3. So that's no aircraft for CVF as, real smart. Might as well scrap them since there's nothing to fly off them.

Mind you, I've just spotted his constituency.....I forsee EuorSeafighter...... :D
  4. Wow.

Fewer than 18 months ago, Hutton’s career hung in the balance as his old ally Tony Blair prepared to leave Downing Street. When he was accused of declaring that Gordon Brown would be a “f***ing disaster” as prime minister, his fate seemed sealed.

He might know something then.
  5. "By now the train is pulling into his constituency, Barrow-in-Furness. It’s where sections of two huge aircraft carriers are to be built. That project, at least, seems sure to be safe."

Of course it is, as is JSF I suspect. I'm sure he wouldn't want his electorate to build 2 expensive white elephants.

He'll look at what has been bought under UOR and then take it into core as 'new' capability. Bye, Bye FRES.
  6. fres seems to be such a vauge and badly thought out idea you can't build an air portable chally
    probably best binned
  7. Airborne Tanks?

I think Coley might disagree with you there. He knows best, after all :D
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

So if JSF is binned what the hell do we stick on the new carriers? Chopping the A400M would be a better bet and filling the gap with new a C130 and C17 mix.
  9. Agreed, hardly rocket salad is it? So unlikely to happen then.
  10. I heard we'd have the GR9 on the carriers, at least initially until the JSF is fully ready. If JSF gets axed then we'll have shiny new carriers carrying third-rate planes.

Where does the MOD get these geniuses from? :roll:
  11. We will just buy off the French I guess.

One question, if we ditch new transport planes, how will this affect FRES?
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The problem with GR9 is, unlike the American AV8B+, we didn't put a radar in ours. :oops: While it does have the capability to fit sidewinders it has no BVR capability.

I'm not sure how dropping A400M would effect FRES. I understand Piranha V has been selected - can it fit in C130? But failing that a few more C17 should solve any airportability problems, besides how many are going to need air lifting at any one time?
  13. And (topically) back on-topic of Only ‘cretins’ jeer forces, says John Hutton,

as per RTE News

I believe he did apologise but, having a poor memory, will probably revert to type and attend the shinners' protest at the weekend?.
  14. So we can expect a plan for a GR10 or GR11 Harrier then in the next few years including a Radar ?
  15. More than likely we go begging to the French I think.