Online PC Care scam

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by commission_impossible, Nov 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had a phone call from a nice Indian chap today called "James"; he wanted to speak to the main user of the household's windows based computer. Now my better half had told me off in the past for my usual IA drills of screaming abuse and hanging up so I let James speak. He tried to tell me that he worked for a small company based in Halifax, West Yorkshire that offered support to windows customers and that my computer had downloaded malicious files without my knowledge.

I was curious to see where he was going so I played along for a bit. He had me bring up event viewer by pressing windows + r and typing in "eventvwr" then pressing "applications". I'd never seen this programme before (did a quick google of "eventvwr" before I did anything just in case I was about to knock out a system file or something) but it basically brought up a list of what applications had been run and when. He then asked me to look for yellow warnings and red errors; I did as much and read the descriptions of the errors and saw, not too surprisingly, that they were the error messages that have popped up on my screen and had messages like "setup.exe quit as there is another installation in progress".

This was where he tried his pitch. He asked how many there were and I said 4 or 5. He says "Oh my God! There shouldn't be any! I will arrange our extended software warranty for you". When pressed he then explained that the software warranty was a programme on my computer that would stop these nasty red and yellow things. He passed me to his boss "Mike" (whose English was a little better) who asked some of the same questions; I told him I had 10 or 11 red and yellows and he said "Oh my God! You shouldn't have more than 4 or 5!" I was then offered the warranty for £67 for a year, £127 for two years and £187 for three years. "Mike" asked me to bring up internet explorer (he didn't understand me when I asked if it would be ok if I used a different browser) and type in some address for a remote access site so an engineer could fix my computer for me.

I called him on his bullshit at this point and he still tried to defend himself by saying I wasn't a computer expert. When I told him that he wasn't either he hung up.

I tried getting a contact number or address out of them but they weren't for it. Still managed to waste half an hour of their time that they might have spent conning some poor old biddy out of her pension though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. msr

msr LE

3. Quite good drills. When they get to the stage of asking for money, I make an excuse that there's someone at the door and leave them on the line for a few minutes. Then I tell them that something important has cropped up, can I ring them back. Invariably, they'll offer to phone again in a couple of hours. A couple of hours later, we go through the same process. They give up first.

4. I, for one, believe you wholeheartedly and will be getting in touch with them forthwith so that they can take my money.

5. We've been getting these at home, however the caller claims to be from Microsoft themselves. I've not taken one of these myself but FatherPlume has & does as much time wasting as he can. He's retired now & wants someone other than MotherPlume to speak to...

We're also being plagued by a fake AVG software update request.

6. Starting about two months ago and in the space of about three weeks most of my neighbours had received such calls ... some more than one . Fortunately no one rose to the bait and as we are mostly retired where I live many , including myself , adopted the tactic of wasting the caller's time .

The caller on the one I received also intimated some link with Microsoft .

7. In fairness to the feckless youth, MSR does provide a free anti malware advice service on this site, so it is safe to talk to him as he does not ask for money or remote access.

On the other hand he must know what I was downloading before he came up with the cure :)

8. By pure coincidence, my wife has, within the past minute, put the phone down on such a call. I had one a couple of days ago, wanting to let him log onto my system to cure the problems they'd been seeing on my machine. He too was called James, which must be a popular name in Mumbai at the moment. I explained that I would be quite happy to do so, provided he gave a few details to verify his identity, such as his IP address, gateway, bank accounts and related passwords. He sounded like such a jolly nice chap, I asked him if he could he help me out with a little inheritance I've got from my Nigerian uncle. For some reason, he put the phone down. I guess he had other people to help.

9. msr

msr LE

Then go here: Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit download the zip file and extract it to a memory stick. Then double click on start.exe and scan your PC.

msr

10. The caller to my dear old Dad said he was actually from Microsoft!

Cheers, msr. What does this actually do & while I trust you (for a Gunner :) ) are you 100% it's pukka?

11. msr

msr LE

Yes. If you have some fake AVG screens then you have a problem. This should find it for you.

Which antivirus do you use currently?

msr

12. It's my Parents' machine so I'm not 100%. It was reconfigured by a friendly local expert some time back and he removed the free AVG they had been using in favour of some MS product. The expert told them both couldn't run at the same time.

On the old machine we had been using Norton, but they didn't want to keep paying. In addition with broadband so ARRSE in the village it was becoming stupid to try & download the product which is Norton's default solution - I found them very unhelpful about supplying it on CD.

The AVG screens that appear aren't anything about scans or claiming we have viruses. They just invite us to pay for a new subscription, but there are a couple of things about the pop-up which made alarm bells ring. The problem is I am currently at MrsPlume's not with the Aged Ps & also that I've never actually seen one of the dubious AVG pop-ups so can't play about with the PC to find out more.

The thing that really gets on my moobs is the HP support pop-ups asking us to update our printer software & drivers. They appear on a regular basis, swallow up lots of (slow) bandwidth if used & have an annoying habit of installing extra copies of the printer on the PC, leading to dear old elderly Parents cursing like something from the lower deck of a whaler & scratching heads like the queue for the nit nurse.

As it happens there is virtually data of either monetary or sentimental value stored on their PC so if something catastrophic did happen it would only cause a relative inconvenience while the machine was repaired/replaced...

13. A workmate was called by "James" from "Microsoft" and allowed him access.
    From what he told me he opened up event viewer and pointed out all the faults, it was when he mentioned a charge that my mate disconnected the router.
    I suggested he restore to a point before this happened, and then run Spybot and Adaware, is there anything else he should do?

14. msr

msr LE

no point running a restore, nothing has changed. bin off spybot and adaware.
    just rely on avast or Microsoft security essentials for day to day protection and use emsisoft eek for belt and braces.

msr