online/offline source for medal citations?

Discussion in 'Medals' started by moneyshot, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had a look about but not sure if what I'm looking for exists - is there an official archive of citations for the various awards for military actions?

In this instance I'm looking for MC citations from WWI but is there a general source for citations?

many thanks
  2. thanks. I'm looking for the citation of a Maj James Myles of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers & RE. I don't see anything in the London Gazette, or at least can't find it using their search function.

I can get this at the national archives though - The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

I've never used this site before - would buying the pdf of the 'medal card' also show the citation(s) for medals awarded?
  3. HHH

HHH LE

4. The MC was announced Gazette Issue 29886 published on the 29 December 1916.

He was a Captain at the time and as you can imagine a lot of MCs were awarded that year so this list goes on and on. Hope this helps!
  5. thanks - as well as list the awarded ranks does the Gazette show citations too or where do I need to go to find this?
  6. I would try his regimental museum.

If they had published all the Medal citations from 1916; the Gazette would have been bigger than the London Telephone directory.

Interesting bloke though Rugby player, Soldier and then a TD for years.

Might also be worth giving the Imperial War Museum a call.
  7. Sometimes you can find the citation at the National Archive, only sometimes though!!
    Also as he was an officer its possible that there might be a mention of him in the War Diary for the unit, the details can vary from "Major Bloggs is a damn fine fella, and did something", to quite a detailed account of the action, it varies considerably.
    As others have said MC's were not exactly rare so the level of detail varies considerably.
    The medal card only shows the details of the medals awarded, nothing else really.
    Just checked the MC, only shows Victory Medal, British War medal, 15 Star, no mention of his MC, also gives full name as James Sproule Myles and address in Ballyshannon assuming this is the right James.
    Hope this helps
  8. Records of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Jim Condon | Inniskillings Museum

Check that the citation is in the book before you buy.

Records of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Jim Condon
    By admin | Published: November 7, 2010
    For some thirty years, Jim Condon has been compiling records of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Principal among these have been the Honours and Awards gained by members of the Regiment.

These records were compiled initially by hand for his own research but with the advances in computers were later made available to the Inniskillings Museum. A chance discussion with a friend involved in the printing business led, ultimately, to their presentation in this form. They have all been compiled, typed and set up by him (and all photographs and diagrams have been selected and copied by him) so he is clear that any omissions or errors (though hopefully few!) must be laid at his door. He would be very grateful for any comments or corrections – please pass them through the Museum via the contacts page.

The seven A4 size books, containing many citations, are being sold for the sole benefit of the Inniskillings Museum funds so all profits go to the Museum.

1. Officers of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in World War 1.
    2. Honours and Awards to Officers and Soldiers Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 1940 -1968.
    3. Awards to Other Ranks Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers World War 1.
    4. Awards of The Military Cross Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
    5. Awards of the Distinguished Conduct Medal Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
    6. Officers of The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers South Africa 1899 -1902.
    7. Honours and Awards to The Royal Irish Rangers 1968 –1992.

The books, together with individual prices, are listed in our online shop. A complete set of 7 books can be purchased for the reduced price of £70

Books | Inniskillings Museum
  9. The reason you cant find your man in the London Gazette is because he was Gazetted in the Edinburgh Gazette, Here
    I'm sure someone much smarter will be along in a minute to explain why it was Edinburgh rather than London.
  10. The MC was announced London Gazette Issue 29886 published on the 29 December 1916, and published on 1 Jan 1917 in Edinburgh Gazette.

It was in both for some reason.

It is my understanding that the London, Edinburgh and Belfast Gazettes are largely duplicates of each other as far as Military announcements are concerned. However, neither include the citation which describes the actions that led to the award.
  11. Thanks I knew someone would be able to explain it, I didnt bother with the LG as the OP said he couldnt find it, so when google threw up the EG entry I thought it would explain things, I should have known it wouldnt be that simple ;-)
  12. No. They just list the gongs awarded.