Online guide to writing CRs

Discussion in 'Officers' started by gijoe, May 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got to write some CRs whilst at home for a few days. Anyone got a www link to help me write these?

One of those guides with adjectives would be good.

G

2. Such as: idle, lazy, unimaginitive, limited powers of expression, seeks easy way out, can't be bothered to invest time and effort in his soldiers' careers. Any more?

3. Not an troopy in the signals are you?

Reminds me of when a lad told his boss he wanted to get out of the Army and that it was generally getting him down. His boss offered to see if he could get him on his skillys.

Needless to say he turned down his generous offer.

4. Top Tip...use your own words! Try it, it might actually work. Writing a CR in plain English that your soldiers readily understand - rather than having to look the words up in a dictionary - would be a great help to them and prevents you from hiding behind euphamisms. If he/she is crap - and you can justify it - tell him so; they'll appreciate it more than a load of old flannel.

5. If Spr Priam does not improve the Army must consider whether its in its own interest to retain him. :oops:

6. Well at least you know where you stand Priam, me ol' china!

7. If you actually know the soldiers in question, and acknowledge what they do or don't do for you, these CR's should practically write themselves. Assuming, of course, that you pay attention to what goes on in your unit, you should have no problems whatsoever.

8. Well it was more than a few years go, Cadre 4 months later after pulling pants up and using ears twice as often as mouth :D

9. Not a 35 Cadre, by any chance?

10. Hmmm check PMs :D

11. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Fellas - at least he's taking the time to make sure he follows a proper format and considers the headings and key phrases that promotion boards will want to hear. Yes, he needs to put effort in to making sure that his lads feel valued, but "writing a CR in plain English that the lads understand' is not going to get them promoted or posted when they get boarded. You can translate the formal guff in to English for your soldiers, if required, when you interview them.

GI Joe - Go and speak to your OC, RCMO and and possibly Adjt. Get a CR Guide, some examples of previous, and make sure you know what APC is looking for when promoting (performance, spec quals, potential, etc).

Most of what you need will be on thier mid year appraisals of course...

dpm

12. How about:

Works hard

Always considers others

Never seen skiving

Knows much about his trade

Everyone admires him

Robust NCO

:cyclops: :cyclops:

13. http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/work/officer-fitness.html

His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity.

I would not breed from this Officer.

This Officer is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definitely won't-be.

When she opens her mouth, it seems that this is only to change whichever foot was previously in there.

He has carried out each and every one of his duties to his entire satisfaction.

He would be out of his depth in a car park puddle.

14. OK DPM...I have no truck with anything that you say but I think that the point I was trying to make was that there is benefit in writing a CR that will bullshit the lads into thinking that they are better than they are...it will only end in tears. The board read so many CRs that they appreciate plain English that calls it straight - things like 'should promote in his turn' mean nothing. A few well chosen phrases that lifts the pen picture off the page and gives the reader something to assess the individual by usually works. Shade your soldiers top/middle/bottom third and if he/she is your best soldier say so; if you can get 2nd RO support for this all the better. Also, do your maths...Boards do, and if you have 3 soldiers who you describe as your best, they will spot it!

15. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Captain _______ would have made an adequate Adjt had he not been caught sh!gging the G3 clerk.