Online Abuse & Trolling

RTU'd

LE
A lot in the papers since Sir David was stabbed last week about online abuse & trolling MP's and others.
On the radio this morning about who the culprits are, mostly facebook & twitter it seems.

But does Arrse play a part?

Or from what people say on Arrse its fair to go at those in the headlines or mp's but no threats of violence or harm. Just good old fashioned pee taking/dark humour that has been a stable diet of the army for years.

But, do we over step the mark or if you fcuk up in the limelight you get knocked down?

After all arrse does well at offering those that have served good advice & the odd pee take.
But when the chips are down arrse will help those in need of help.
Surely the remit of the site?

In a sensible thread so honest answers are given.
But up to the Site Admins/Mods to decide if it should go elsewhere.

A lot in the papers since Sir David was stabbed last week about online abuse & trolling MP's and others.
On the radio this morning about who the culprits are, mostly facebook & twitter it seems.

But does Arrse play a part?

Or from what people say on Arrse its fair to go at those in the headlines or mp's but no threats of violence or harm. Just good old fashioned pee taking/dark humour that has been a stable diet of the army for years.

But, do we over step the mark or if you fcuk up in the limelight you get knocked down?

After all arrse does well at offering those that have served good advice & the odd pee take.
But when the chips are down arrse will help those in need of help.
Surely the remit of the site?

In a sensible thread so honest answers are given.
But up to the Site Admins/Mods to decide if it should go elsewhere.
Despite my opinion of a number of politicians if I saw any of them in genuine danger I would not hesitate to come to the aid of any human being If I could do so.

I would pretty much guarantee that most of ARRSE would do the same.

I might call them something offensive in any following TV interview, but that is something different.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm slightly more concerned about why the allegedly religiously-motivated assassination of a politician by a known extremist now being held under anti-terror legislation has been hijacked by the great and the good to debate the supressing of impotent frothings by garage-dwelling fat folk for whom the word 'surgery' is more likely to involve a gastric band than their local MP.

I'm slightly more concerned about why the allegedly religiously-motivated assassination of a politician by a known extremist now being held under anti-terror legislation has been hijacked by the great and the good to debate the supressing of impotent frothings by garage-dwelling fat folk for whom the word 'surgery' is more likely to involve a gastric band than their local MP.

I'm not sure whether to give that a like or a funny.

I was doing some reading recently about various outrages committed in London by Jewish immigrant anarchist-terrorist types, specifically the Siege of Sidney Street and related events.

The contrast between the reaction of the establishment in 1911, and today's reaction couldn't be greater. Here's one quote from a 1911 MP:

"You know as well as I do that human life does not matter a rap in comparison with the death of ideas and the betrayal of English traditions."

The government of the time refrained from restricting liberties or taking draconian action.

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt

"To be seen to be doing something" is the go to position when you can't think WTF to do.

No doubt because if you don't talk about a Member of Parliament killed in an allegedly religiously-motivated attack, then it clearly didn't happen and the important business of the suppression of moderate views can continue uninterrupted.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
The biggest problem with online abuse and trolling is that most trolls genuinely don't see they are doing wrong and realise they are indeed - trolls.

ARRSE is unique in a way because those of us who have served (and by served I mean spent the majority of our military careers beyond the MT or clothing store in Germany) know how to talk to one another in such a way that recognises the C Word as a sign of affection as opposed to an insult, for example.

But like most systems it's not perfect and has its fair share of career civilians, know-it-alls, members with failed military careers, and general head-cases who 'think' they get the humour but just come across as nasty gobshites.

"To be seen to be doing something" is the go to position when you can't think WTF to do.

Let's just ignore why there aare those attacks on the Kaffir and just give Southend city status

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ask the COs. This site has had plenty of interest from police in the past, and at a glance, there are a rather lot of posts on here which could be the basis of a criminal complaint. Just because you didn't send it to the person it's referencing, doesn't mean that if the person is told about it or shown it, that they can't make a complaint about it.

It's a very, very fine line between freedom of speech and criminality. Mainly, in part, because the default setting for a lot of people is to be offended at everything.

The slightly depressing aspect of the reaction from the media and MPs to the murder of Sir David has been the way in which both institutions have been inward-looking. I wish I could be more eloquent about the issue, but the appearance in the media/Parliament of some 'look at me' types of MP (and I listened to Mark Francois talking about the need for more courtesy in politics, open-mouthed at his lack of self-awareness) highlighted that, for every 10 or more conscientious MPs there are the 'show business for the ugly' types who just - it seems to me -want to be in the public spotlight. It was no surprise for example to read in the 'i' a 'reaction' piece from Jess Phillips. I wish we could go to an age - if it ever existed - where the less flamboyant, more conscientious type of person went into politics to do good.

In summary, there's been a lot of 'how do we protect our MPs?' stuff and no 'how do we protect all of us?' - our way of life, traditions, safety, etc? Just the sort of shallow narcissism that has brought Parliament down. I wish the 'look at me' type of MP could have just a fraction of the self-awareness required to reflect that they create the tension, the unpleasantness. Mark Francois - an MP so obsessed by the idea of being 'the man' that he turns every Defence Select Committee hearing he sits on into an 'look at me' fest.

So MPs - some decent types. Some wastes of space who need calling out. But none that deserve to meet their end because some idiot thinks he's pleasing God by being a murderer.

I can't help thinking that if MP's did their jobs properly, they would have a lot less to worry about.

Latest Threads