Ongoing "Upcoming boxing"/on now BOXING THREAD

Ritch

LE
There's a big unknown / can't be known about AJ from that fight with Klitschko - the moment when AJ was slowly going down in the Sixth and Klitschko should have helped him on his way. It was noble of him not to but, had he, the fight was over.
That said, I respect Klitschko for not following up. It would have been very dangerous for AJ.
There are two fights though where different fighters have scrambled AJ's head, and taken his legs away. He came back in one, which was damned amazing.
Oh yeah, absolutely. But I just think too many people write off boxers as having a glass chin in heavyweight boxing. Where the boxers are larger than the average man, there's always going to be some bangs along the way provided the opponent knows how to punch.

Fury moves round the ring like no other, granted but I think if Joshua fights - like he did against Ruiz in the second fight - smart and keeping your opponent at distance, he could have a shout.

I saw someone post a comment earlier on a forum I use about how AJ had easy opponents for the first 15 fights of his career... I won't argue, he did - but so did Fury.

Either way, Britain has the two best Heavyweights in the world and no-one can argue with that.

Ritch

LE
That Fury managed to avoid nearly all of them is testament to his ring intelligence and remarkable agility for a man of his size.
Wilder through a massive punch in the fifth and Fury casually parried it with his glove as if he saw it coming all day long. I was impressed with that.

Oh yeah, absolutely. But I just think too many people write off boxers as having a glass chin in heavyweight boxing. Where the boxers are larger than the average man, there's always going to be some bangs along the way provided the opponent knows how to punch.

Fury moves round the ring like no other, granted but I think if Joshua fights - like he did against Ruiz in the second fight - smart and keeping your opponent at distance, he could have a shout.

I saw someone post a comment earlier on a forum I use about how AJ had easy opponents for the first 15 fights of his career... I won't argue, he did - but so did Fury.

Either way, Britain has the two best Heavyweights in the world and no-one can argue with that.
Wholly agreed. I should clarify that AJ defo hasn't a glass chin. There are certain places on the head where, no matter who you are, a hit will scramble your senses. The Fury / AJ match will be interesting. Wilder had the problem last night of keeping distance but that meaning he spent the fight going backwards. It's a tricky problem to solve.

I thought the same; despite Fury giving Wilder (and most pundits) a lesson in balanced but aggressive boxing, I was always half expecting one of Wilder's haymakers (and there were dozens of them) to connect on the sweet spot. That Fury managed to avoid nearly all of them is testament to his ring intelligence and remarkable agility for a man of his size. A superb performance, not least because he was up against a fearsome, two-fisted puncher in the league of Marciano, Foreman and Tyson. But he was also fighting an American opponent in the US, where, as the old saw has it for foreign boxers, you have to knock your man out to get a draw, and his fight plan clearly reflected that. Best £25 I ever spent.
Fury's responsiveness to any potential move from his opponent was v impressive. He was always ready to slip sideways or back from a punch/jab. His concentration was impressive.
Having seen the fight a second time, I don't think Wilder fought poorly - he just met a better fighter (at that moment). I don't know what others think?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I see people mention AJ's chin and smile. AJ hasn't got a glass jaw like Amir Khan etc. He took massive hits off Klitschko, Povetkin etc - huge hitters - and yes, he got rocked but he didn't fold out flat. I challenge anyone to take a perfect shot from an 18 stone giant and not wobble or fall to the floor.
I give you Spider.;)

Having seen the fight a second time, I don't think Wilder fought poorly - he just met a better fighter (at that moment). I don't know what others think?
It may be hindsight at work, but I thought Wilder looked a bit apprehensive as soon as he stepped into the ring. It seemed to me that he fought as well as he knew how, but that 'how' was limited in the face of Fury's balanced assault combined with classy bob & weave/footwork, a style he's relatively unaccustomed to, as most of his recent opponents have necessarily had to concentrate on simply not getting KO'd. There was bewilderment - if not fear - in his eyes as early as the third round; I suspect that Fury's 'impossible' recovery from being floored in the last fight had got to him, and in the end he simply ran out of ideas other than to swing and hope. And, of course, a three-stone weight difference will tell over twelve rounds, even in today's heavyweight division. Wilder gets top marks for guts and perseverance, but, as you say, he was just up against a better man on the night.

Just watched the high lights on you tube, from what I saw it was more a bloody good fight than a good boxing match. Fury took the fight to Wilder who couldn’t handle it, and you could see that Fury was enjoying hitting him.
A great performance to beat a Yank in his own back yard like that, brilliant, well done Fury.
Theres only one fight now that I want to see and I would pay for it, Fury v Joshua, but if Fury is on this form it won’t last beyond the third, not with Joshuas chin.
It'll go 12 rounds. Joshua can fight on the inside so Fury will outbox him and win on points.

Joshua beats Wilder for the same reason.

This was a great fight, but it answered too many questions. There are no longer any interesting style matchups between the top 3.

Usyk/Wilder would be a good one.

philc

LE
I'd be surprised if Wilder takes it. He knows he can't beat Fury, and it's not like he's short of cash.
Fair point, its looking like Fury V Joshua in either the UK of Middle East.

Ritch

LE
Wilder himself is now blaming his ring walk costume for his defeat. He says wearing it added to a further 40lbs and he "didn't have the legs".

Ridiculously, he says Fury didn't hurt him at all. Oh no Deontay, you just kept crumpling to the ground and looking punch drunk for the fun of it, of course!

Ritch

LE
The way "his" referee was staring with disbelief and concern plastered on his face as Deontay took a beating.

The one trick pony still is calling himself the WBC Champion on Twitter too.

Last edited:

triggerigger

War Hero
Not showing his face not surprising after making a clown entrance and getting slapped about the ring like that.
_20200225_131734.JPG

Ooh my clown suit was too heavy.

philc

LE
Wilder himself is now blaming his ring walk costume for his defeat. He says wearing it added to a further 40lbs and he "didn't have the legs".

Ridiculously, he says Fury didn't hurt him at all. Oh no Deontay, you just kept crumpling to the ground and looking punch drunk for the fun of it, of course!

40 lbs is about what a fireman wears going in to a blazing building.

philc

LE
Oh dear being trolled by the London Fire Brigade now.

Latest Threads