One step to Frankenstein?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hmmmm. I think some of these genetic beings have been posting on Arrse for years! :rolleyes:

We can't hold back science, I think that is the bottom line.
How many lives have been saved because of the terrible experiments in the Nazi death camps, the dunking of prisoners into freezing water and then learning how to save them from hypothermia is just one, this saved and has over the years saved 1000's of lives, should we use it? Of course.
Analogous to that would be the amount of data that was accumulated about radiation exposure from Nagasaki and Hiroshima, or the amount that was learned about plastic surgery and prosthetics due to the grim injuries from two world wars.

Conflict has always been a kick-starter for innovation, and not always in better methods of killing.

If this news one day eradicates cancer and autism and other life changing conditions then I'm insteadall for it.
I wonder how they would have thought of organ transplants and blood infusions back in Tudor times? Witchcraft? But now it's carried out routinely and it's just part of everyday life, it's incredible to think that the first heart transplant took place back in the late sixties and now we can do it all over the world.
I wonder what we will be doing in the medical world in another 500 years, a quick injection at birth and that will see you through till your 150th birthday?
Who knows.
I would love to see that world, though will have to content myself with the more positive science-fiction stories instead.

Analogous to that would be the amount of data that was accumulated about radiation exposure from Nagasaki and Hiroshima, or the amount that was learned about plastic surgery and prosthetics due to the grim injuries from two world wars.

Conflict has always been a kick-starter for innovation, and not always in better methods of killing.

I would love to see that world, though will have to content myself with the more positive science-fiction stories instead.
But that's because you view the world through your "current prism".

Look at the advances made in aviation, communications, medicine, IT, transport over the last 100 years; and those occurred without modern production techniques, AI, scientific research and development.

I think it's perfectly feasible that within 100 years we will have medical prevention and cure methods as yet un-imagined, vehicles that bear no resemblance to current ones, and information storage methods that will appear by modern standards to be almost magical.

If they can secretly bioengineer third (& more) generation doleys to be sterile, it'll do more for the UK economy & crime figures than HS2 ever will.

If they can secretly bioengineer third (& more) generation doleys to be sterile, it'll do more for the UK economy & crime figures than HS2 ever will.
You'd share some interesting company with an ideology like that.

'In October 2015, the United Nations' International Bioethics Committee wrote that the ethical problems of human genetic engineering should not be confused with the ethical problems of the 20th century eugenics movements. However, it is still problematic because it challenges the idea of human equality and opens up new forms of discrimination and stigmatization for those who do not want, or cannot afford, the technology.'

Eugenics - Wikipedia

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I cannot wait for the first litigation when parents w and s learn their newborn isn’t going to be the next Handel, has a rather large forehead, one blue eye and one green, and is black!

I used to be mates with the leading bloke in this field.
Hav'nt seen him for ten or so years.
It is definitely the way forward in finding cures for disease, indeed even growing new limbs or neural tissue with all of the fantastic consequences that that, would entail.
It is also a very complex field.
At first regenerative medicine or genetic engineering' could only be researched with stem cells "Harvested" from aborted foetus or very young dead babies.
Of course the tree huggers were up in arms about this, and it was a pretty uncomfortable subject for those outside of the loop, and ignorant of the fantastic opportunities it will present down the line.
My professor mate saw this coming and developed a procedure to harvest the cells and grow them in the lab from a simple blood/bone marrow sample which shut the ethics brigade up pretty pronto, and allowed the research to get to the stage where it is now.
It is where the future of modern medicine lies and at the very forefront of cutting edge research.
So put some money into biomed shares as it will come good. If not for you, for the grandkids.
Ironically he is now not using his brilliant mind in the lab at the coalface of this research, but spends most of his time lecturing around the world on the subject.

You'd share some interesting company with an ideology like that.

'In October 2015, the United Nations' International Bioethics Committee wrote that the ethical problems of human genetic engineering should not be confused with the ethical problems of the 20th century eugenics movements. However, it is still problematic because it challenges the idea of human equality and opens up new forms of discrimination and stigmatization for those who do not want, or cannot afford, the technology.'

Eugenics - Wikipedia
The idea that all humans are equal is the biggest pile of old bolleaux we've ever been sold.
ALL the evidence shows that individual humans vary massively in their abilities, not only in everyday living but their ability to absorb & understand information & act upon it.
This "anyone can be a brain surgeon/nuclear physicist/upstanding member of society" claim goes against the evidence available to all on a daily basis.

The idea that all humans are equal is the biggest pile of old bolleaux we've ever been sold.
ALL the evidence shows that individual humans vary massively in their abilities, not only in everyday living but their ability to absorb & understand information & act upon it.
This "anyone can be a brain surgeon/nuclear physicist/upstanding member of society" claim goes against the evidence available to all on a daily basis.
The above wickie article is the exact same crap that my old mate is caught up in.
I think that it is a crying shame that he has to tour the world arguing the case for the benefits that WILL come out of research, rather than have his eyes looking down a microscope at something that he and very few other people on the planet understand.
It does pay his bills though.

So far as I'm aware the argument (at least these days) doesn't tend to be around the innate ability of individuals, which clearly differs, but rather around everyone having equal opportunity to become a brain surgeon/nuclear physicist/upstanding member of society.

At least from a political and ethical perspective.

Clearly, with all things being equal not everyone excels, at least not in the same area, however that is not to say that being poor in one area means failure overall.

Eric Clapton may be a brilliant guitarist, but would he have been any good as a surgeon?

A moot point, but I have met dim officers and bright ratings, who are only in the position they're in because of education and social circumstances, rather than innate ability.

That said, I've also met people who seem to have trouble working out what a toilet is for and wealth or social starting point wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to their ability to understand the world and their place in it.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can tell you this much.... If I had an option to pay for my child to be genetically 'perfect' insofar as they wouldn't suffer any debilitating diseases - cancer, etc or deterioration with age ala dementia, Alzheimer's, etc, you can bet I'd save every penny required to achieve the avoidance of all that suffering.

One look at a Cancer charity run says it all.

Some people are born, brighter/more intelligent than others.
The bloke I mentioned above was torn between being a medical scientist or an engineer.
He told me that his dad used to take him to the science museum when he was a kid, but he always preffered the natural history next door.
Hence he went through medical school and became a vascular surgeon.
Then he decided it was not his cup of tea and changed to computer science.
He told me that he was the first bloke to come up with the idea to put a hard drive into a home pc, and developed it with Toshiba.
Also he tried out for various formula one teams, but in his words. Was just too tall.
Some people are just off the scale when it comes to intelligence.

An Aryan's dream come true? Some interesting moral questions to come out of this decision!

'Designer babies are on the horizon after an influential group of scientists concluded that it could be ‘morally permissible’ to genetically engineer human embryos.

'In a new report which opens the door to a change in the law, the Nuffield Council on Bioethics, said that DNA editing could become an option for parents wanting to ‘influence the genetic characteristics of their child.’

'Although it would be largely used to cure devastating genetic illnesses, or predispositions to cancers and dementia, the experts said they were not ruling out cosmetic uses such as making tweaks to increase height or changing eye or hair colour, if it would make a child more successful.'

Designer babies on horizon as ethics council gives green light to genetically edited embryos
Why would it be an 'aryan's dream come true?'
There are plenty of other cultures that prefer male offspring.

If it was just gays vs christian homophobes it would be an easy call, but when it's gays vs muslim homophobes that could be a popcorn moment
but we have to cherish diversity and the differing cultural norms.