One step to Frankenstein?

An Aryan's dream come true? Some interesting moral questions to come out of this decision!

'Designer babies are on the horizon after an influential group of scientists concluded that it could be ‘morally permissible’ to genetically engineer human embryos.

'In a new report which opens the door to a change in the law, the Nuffield Council on Bioethics, said that DNA editing could become an option for parents wanting to ‘influence the genetic characteristics of their child.’

'Although it would be largely used to cure devastating genetic illnesses, or predispositions to cancers and dementia, the experts said they were not ruling out cosmetic uses such as making tweaks to increase height or changing eye or hair colour, if it would make a child more successful.'

Designer babies on horizon as ethics council gives green light to genetically edited embryos

An Aryan's dream come true? Some interesting moral questions to come out of this decision!

'Designer babies are on the horizon after an influential group of scientists concluded that it could be ‘morally permissible’ to genetically engineer human embryos.

'In a new report which opens the door to a change in the law, the Nuffield Council on Bioethics, said that DNA editing could become an option for parents wanting to ‘influence the genetic characteristics of their child.’

'Although it would be largely used to cure devastating genetic illnesses, or predispositions to cancers and dementia, the experts said they were not ruling out cosmetic uses such as making tweaks to increase height or changing eye or hair colour, if it would make a child more successful.'

Designer babies on horizon as ethics council gives green light to genetically edited embryos
Dr Joseph Mengele would be so proud.

I'm all for my grandkids having superpowers, so long as it isn't of the 'blast grandad to dust' variety.

Seriously though, this has been a slow train coming IMO.

As the knowledge and technology proliferates there is always bound to be a problem with the ethics and regulation keeping pace, but just because someone wants to use the technology to make their kids taller shouldn't stop any effort to eradicate genetic diseases such as cystic fibrosis, haemophilia or sickle-cell anaemia.

With the moral dancing that will doubtless go on from this decision, is it a jump to the left or a step to the right that will cause the first problem?

30729243_10211738675279460_2311605631259246592_n.jpg

Which makes me wonder which religious nutcase will be the first to announce the quest for the gay gene with the stated aim eradicating it.

'Cos God, or something.
Wouldn’t the religious nutcases be heading down the opposite path with the belief that this is meddling with gods creations, considering to them abortion in a mortal sin?

Wouldn’t the religious nutcases be heading down the opposite path with the belief that this is meddling with gods creations, considering to them abortion in a mortal sin?
Nobody really takes them seriously any more though do they?
A few Outrage marches with some token placard waving by weird smelly fuglies with odd teeth,skelly eyes, and weapons grade comb-overs & stern-of- Bismark arrsed losers who turned to 'ligeon for solace since normal people avoid them. Then off they go home for a w*nk after scoffing a microwaved home-alone meal for 1 while contemplating their 70's wallpapers that they still think is cool.

( Allegedly)

Job.

Last edited:
Nobody really takes them seriously any more though do they?
A few Outrage marches with some token placard waving by weird smelly fuglies with odd teeth,skelly eyes, and weapons grade comb-overs who turned to 'ligeon for solace since normal people avoid them. Then off they go home for a w*nk after scoffing a microwaved home-alone meal for 1 while contemplating their 70's wallpapers that they still think is cool.
Job.
Religious nutcases do not only encompass hardcore christians who assume anything science based is a slight against god. It also includes other groups whose population is on the rise in the west and seem to be vocal about their religious beliefs and governments willing to pander to them.....

Well you would think so, but with gays particularly a lot of religious groups seem to have a problem (though God knows why; it's not as if homosexuals are going to breed).

Always found it a bit peculiar that some people can demonstrate against abortion as being against God's creation and at the same time prosecute homosexuality as against God's creation, and not apparently be able to see the inherent contradiction.

Always found it a bit peculiar that some people can demonstrate against abortion as being against God's creation and at the same time prosecute homosexuality as against God's creation, and not apparently be able to see the inherent contradiction.
And be first in the Q for a heart or liver transplant if desperate enough eh?;)

And be first in the Q for a heart or liver transplant if desperate enough eh?;)
Some would be I guess; those that are not very devout or use religion as an excuse for their bigotry.

Others possibly not so much.

Jehovah's Witnesses for instance are very clear in their objection to blood transfusions or the use of blood products, and while I think their stance is foolish, at least they tend to have the courage of their convictions.

I wonder what their stance would be on gene therapies, given that it doesn't (so far as I'm aware) involve a blood transfusion.

Well you would think so, but with gays particularly a lot of religious groups seem to have a problem (though God knows why; it's not as if homosexuals are going to breed).

That's the irony though, homosexuality seems quite prevalent among religious groups opposed to it, so can see a push for genetics like this being used

And then what will the PC crowd do, which side will they back ?

If it was just gays vs christian homophobes it would be an easy call, but when it's gays vs muslim homophobes that could be a popcorn moment

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We can't hold back science, I think that is the bottom line.
How many lives have been saved because of the terrible experiments in the Nazi death camps, the dunking of prisoners into freezing water and then learning how to save them from hypothermia is just one, this saved and has over the years saved 1000's of lives, should we use it? Of course.

If this news one day eradicates cancer and autism and other life changing conditions then I'm all for it.
I wonder how they would have thought of organ transplants and blood infusions back in Tudor times? Witchcraft? But now it's carried out routinely and it's just part of everyday life, it's incredible to think that the first heart transplant took place back in the late sixties and now we can do it all over the world.
I wonder what we will be doing in the medical world in another 500 years, a quick injection at birth and that will see you through till your 150th birthday?
Who knows.

Latest Threads