One second after- by william Forstchen- WOW!

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by armr617, Jul 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well it is now 0320, I started reading this book at about 2330, thought I would read a chapter or so then sleep.No, didnt happen. I have just finished it.My thanks to fellow arrser 'Effendi' for pointing it out in a thread on ww3.The story basically follows a small mountain town in America in the aftermath of an EMP attack.If you watched the series 'Jericho' then the way the town breaks down and the rebuild wil sound familiar.The author has obviously researched it very deeply, in fact this book was mentioned in Congress as a possible future!The story manages to be both a possible glimpse into the future, a warning and a good old fashioned story in one book.I read a hell of a lot, i cannot remember the last time I read a book in one hit for no other reason than the plot (reading a whole, or multiple books on flights doesnt count!)Fantastic read
  2. Nevermind global warming, read this book.
    I dont think any other book I have read, quite gripped me like this book did. I came to a very simple conclusion at the end of it "We are fucked".

3. John Ringo's The Last Centurion

This one I would say is equally good, how the world & one army company in particular deal with the next flu pandemic & an extremely mini ice age at the same time, whilst trying to get themselves home from the middle east.

4. Whats congress?
  5. I've just finished reading it. It's quite well written, and the subject matter is very thought provoking indeed. Definitely worth a read for an idea of how an EMP attack could affect us here in the West, or indeed if you're just into 'end-of -the World' type scenarios.

7/10 perhaps even 8/10. Well worth a read.
  6. Bit too flag wavey, hohah,USA for me.
  7. Just read this book and I have to concur (over a year later) with many of the comments above

Essentially a manifesto to Action; and most probably the single greatest source of American psychosis and paranoia since the Red Terror

I'm typically cynical about this sort of quasi-fiction but Christ, after reading this I'm off to buy myself at-least 12months of Tesco's beans
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'm about half way through and yeah, I agree. Plus the characters are a bit goody-two shoes "have a nice day Sir" for my liking. But as an insight into post - EMP living? Scary as hell. I find myself driving the car and wondering how long it would take me to nick a horse and get home if one hit.
  9. Tell you what... Im off to google EMP attack. Who says ARRSE is not educational and just good for poo stories.
  10. Its all OK... your Deltics would still survive.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Deltics, cockroaches and Keith Richards. I think the Landy would be OK as it is a relic.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Downloaded it a few days ago - as a novel it's pukeworthy but as a warning of what EMP can do it gives detail pretty comprehensively, in a readable form, by talking about the consequences rather than lapsing into turgid scientific explanations.

Of course it is VERY American and a lot of the survival strategies would not translate word for word to the UK (particularly as we do not have to live with every citizen armed to the teeth regardless of his level of sanity), but this work might be useful thinking-cap material for those in local authorities and utilities who are responsible for disaster planning.

As far as I am concerned, recommended reading on an interesting topic. But keep the sick-bag handy.