One piece of advice...

Never volunteer. keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut. Don't bite when being bollocked , and never ever walk across the parade ground....have a nice career!

Bad advice! Don't be so negative! Some of my best adventures have come from volunteering for things I thought I understood but it turned out I didn't.

I was quoting the old tried and tested statement that every old sweat tells their wide eyed son starting his new army career. You know me from BAOR, and you know that I spent most of my army time" Volunteering " for sports jolly's, snow queen, Porton down, ( On reflection, not one of my better decisions) sailing, mountaineering, A KAPE team & SDS duties in london, canoeing in Norway, and various trips attached with other NATO forces, to all points east and west., any thing that would let me see some of the world, from the air and at sea, all at the tax payers expense, and, it got me out of barracks.

Taking a bit of a gamble in Syria a few years ago my team, consisting of me, a reporter and a British security 'adviser' travelled by moped up a narrow corridor to a YPG position. Things got a bit hectic and we found ourselves in danger of being cut off by ISIS.

We had a serious discussion about what we were going to do if ISIS were near to capturing us and the real possibility of suicide was discussed (once we'd fought them off for as long as we could of course... haha) Our rather somber discussion eventually descended into an argument between me and the adviser about who would get to shoot the journalist...
Any chance you could plug the bugger and claim you clocked Daesh but they ran away?

Tabasco. It makes pretty much anything palatable.

Any chance you could plug the bugger and claim you clocked Daesh but they ran away?
Our argument about who would shoot him carried on after we realized that we could exfil.

Missed a trick there. You should have conceded the CP bloke could shoot him, but only after you'd stabbed him a few times and bludgeoned him with a rock.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Make them show you the sweets first.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Missed a trick there. You should have conceded the CP bloke could shoot him, but only after you'd stabbed him a few times and bludgeoned him with a rock.
And then fired a few rounds into your body armour.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
A bit hard in my case.

We had a Richard Head in Cyprus (light infantry I think, or was it the Scottish lot? ) didn't like being called Dick for some reason.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I knew a Richard Head who was an ex-Legionnaire. Similarly sensitive.
With that provenance, I'd have actively sought to keep him desensitised

We had a Richard Head in Cyprus (light infantry I think, or was it the Scottish lot? ) didn't like being called Dick for some reason.
Being a sensitive soul it disnae bother me. Once at work whilst in mixed company, a bloke made the mistake of calling me a wan ker, and meaning it. The conversation went one way as I...smiled sweetly and said yes I am a wanker...but I'm a happy wanker, how about you...don't you enjoy a good wank...don't tell me, you're one of those blokes who never wan ks? By this time the cheeks were puffed way out, beetroot red and the steam was on the verge of boiling his tiny brain. Funnily he refrained from addressing me in that manner on any further occasion.

Latest Threads