One of those questions...

Mordical

Swinger
Talking at work with another ex-squaddy and a question arose that neither of us knew the answer to. That is pretty unusual because between us we seem to know everything. Especially with the addition of alcohol.

The question is this - we all know of people who do their time, get to WO2 or WO1 and then get a Commission. Is it possible to go back down again if you find you don't like it? Neither of us had heard of anyone actually doing it (probably pension related, that or they become addicted to salutes), but is it actually possible?

Talking at work with another ex-squaddy and a question arose that neither of us knew the answer to. That is pretty unusual because between us we seem to know everything. Especially with the addition of alcohol.

The question is this - we all know of people who do their time, get to WO2 or WO1 and then get a Commission. Is it possible to go back down again if you find you don't like it? Neither of us had heard of anyone actually doing it (probably pension related, that or they become addicted to salutes), but is it actually possible?
@Mordical,

No.
Get the beers in.

What if you got promoted to lance jack and found you didn't like it?

Kirkz

LE
I thought it was known as "Getting Busted"!
Is the OP a complete throbber?

I'm sure the senior WO2s looking for their badge would not thank an LE stepping down to WO1, thus career blocking them - were it possible. Which for that reason alone, I am sure it isn't.

Old Nig

Old-Salt
I recall a bloke in my bty going into the office and completing a form called Voluntary Reversion To A Lower Rank, not long after being promoted to L/Bdr.
Back he went to Gnr, no problems. Not sure if it would work at all levels, but the name of the form suggests it may.

You two need to work on your pillow talk.

Presumably, on commissioning as an LE one resigns from their job as a 'soldier' and is re-employed as an officer. If that is the case then there is no job to go back to.

There must be an (ex) LE or two here who knows the score.

@Mordical ... The New Sergeant Major of the Army is an LE (with the rank of Maj. or Lt. Col.) with what ordinarily would be a WO1 appointment. I believe he also held the AcSM appointment as an LE. There is an example of an an LE doing a WO1 job.

After a skinfull of 'liquid backbone' in the Corporal's Mess, I too "Knew Everything", and could also speak fluent German, French and also a quaint version of english called "bollockese...!":(
drunk-emoticon-holding-alcoholic-drink-bottle-48966854.jpg

After a skinfull of 'liquid backbone' in the Corporal's Mess, I too "Knew Everything", and could also speak fluent German, French and also a quaint version of english called "bollockese...!":(View attachment 221517
You still write fluent bollockese - luckily you appear to understand it but no other fucker does.

Well, that's my Army training, and years of perfecting my abilities to be the "brghtest candle in the box...!"

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Interesting question. The Commission is granted by HMQ.

Found this (just a bit of nostalgia if you were serving in the '90s). Doesn't answer the question:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/369562/1997-Armys_Terms_Conditions_Of_Service_1997-U.pdf

This shows it's possible to resign a Commission (or was in 1868, thought that didn't necessarily work):

Capture.PNG

Perhaps, you could get a Commission, seek to resign it and apply for re-instatement as a WO? Never heard of it, though.

I recall a bloke in my bty going into the office and completing a form called Voluntary Reversion To A Lower Rank, not long after being promoted to L/Bdr.
Back he went to Gnr, no problems. Not sure if it would work at all levels, but the name of the form suggests it may.
I could have gotten from L/bdr to Gnr instantly without all that fancy paperwork.

Luckily I never got found out.

Latest Threads