One of the soul boys has passed away RIP Bill Withers

Superb bass and guitar work on Use Me there.
That's Steve Gadd drumming on the Minnelli version.

Withers also wrote "Who is he (and what is he to you)?, made famous by Creative Source.

His publishing royalties would have kept him in good wine, seems everybody of note has covered a BW song.

That's Steve Gadd drumming on the Minnelli version.

Withers also wrote "Who is he (and what is he to you)?, made famous by Creative Source.

His publishing royalties would have kept him in good wine, seems everybody of note has covered a BW song.
He was sampled by loads of people as well which meant he could pretty much retire by the time he was 50.

He was sampled by loads of people as well which meant he could pretty much retire by the time he was 50.
I met Graham Gouldman of 10cc a few years back.
Helluva nice chap.

He says he makes as much money off royalties on songs he wrote as he does as a performer on #1 hits!
Between 1965 and 1967 alone he wrote "For Your Love", "Heart Full of Soul" and "Evil Hearted You" for the Yardbirds, "Look Through Any Window" (with Charles Silverman) and "Bus Stop" for the Hollies, "Listen People", "No Milk Today" and "East West" for Herman's Hermits, "Pamela, Pamela" and "The Impossible Years" for Wayne Fontana, "Behind the Door" for St. Louis Union (later covered by Cher), "Tallyman" for Jeff Beck and "Going Home", which was a 1967 Australian hit for Normie Rowe.
He also mints it from TV royalties - says EVERY 70s documentary will include either Rubber Bullets (prison riot), Wall Street Shuffle (financial stuff) or Art for Art's sake (anything arty) on he soundtrack, and 'kerching!'
And every cricket broadcast seems to have Dreadlock Holiday as well.

Mechanical royalties and publishing is where the money was a few years ago. I suspect all of that has changed with streaming and the ridiculous rates paid for by things like Spotify and Youtube.

Some of the people and groups who sampled Bill's music over the years.

Mechanical royalties and publishing is where the money was a few years ago. I suspect all of that has changed with streaming and the ridiculous rates paid for by things like Spotify and Youtube.

Some of the people and groups who sampled Bill's music over the years.
A mate of mine had a few big global hits in the eightys, early ninetys. and the days of thirty/forty grand royalty checks rolling in every three months dried up years ago..
He is lucky if he gets three grand a month now, the jammy bugger.

Mr B Withers, - worth any number of rap "artists".
'Aint no Sunshine when she's gone' was a tune for me and missus when I was away in strange places. Played on a Sony Walkman - half you buggers wouldn't know what a C90 was....

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A mate of mine had a few big global hits in the eightys, early ninetys. and the days of thirty/forty grand royalty checks rolling in every three months dried up years ago..
He is lucky if he gets three grand a month now, the jammy bugger.
Indeed. Slade were each getting about that off 'Merry Christmas Everybody' for many years - and crucially, back when £40k/year was serious wedge.

Interestingly, whenever Noddy is interviewed and asked about the song, he's usually asked to shout 'It's Christ-mass!" and he never does it the same way as on the record. The reason why is that he knows that if he does that on some local radio station they can record it and legitimately use over and over. So, he preserves the single - and the royalties - by never doing it exactly the same.

The industry has turned 180 degrees............you now get the music for "free" and all the money is in the live shows. Live shows used to be solely to promote sales.

The industry has turned 180 degrees............you now get the music for "free" and all the money is in the live shows. Live shows used to be solely to promote sales.
Bit of a moral dilemma at times.
Yes, I've downloaded a lot pf stuff I used to own.
I bought a lot of LPs, cassettes, videos and CDs in my time, as technology improved.
So I have paid for it twice in some instances.
Oh, and I bought some right duffer LPs - 2 good tracks and a pile of shyte filling up the rest of it.

Off topic, but partially relevant, when the time comes for me to die, my records and tapes, the physical stuff, can be given to whoever but my digital music disappears into the ether. This has always annoyed me.

Either Arrse has been infiltrated by Russian bots or it must be experiencing Covid-19 induced delirium, respectful comments towards a black man?..

He was a legend and clearly had an enormous (positive) impact on music and culture. Lived a full life at least. RIP fella.

Latest Threads