One man pill box - Wildenrath

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by boney_m, Aug 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

I found a small one man pill box out in the woods near Wildenrath. Anyone know if this is german or something put in by the RAF after the war?

The box is of reinforced poured concrete construction and has several slits around the top (although from the inside these dont appear the ideal size or height for shooting through). I'd assume that if Wildenrath was a Luftwaffe base in WW2 these were depth guard posts but i dont know much about the history of the place. Anyone got any ideas?
  2. Never seen that and I spent nearly 7 yrs at Wilders.
    Wildenrath was built for the RAF and was never a Luftwaffe air base

Not much help sorry.
  3. I cant see a purpose for it apart from military - may be Brit but it clearly hasnt been used for decades. Its in the woods behind the MQ patch - about 500 meters from the NAAFI shop.
  4. It looks more like a one man air raid shelter. I never found that in my five and a half years there. Is it by the railway tracks?
  5. was probably used by snowdrops for sleeping in whilst supposed to be on nights...or perving on the MQs

I simply have never seen that before, it is a bit of a strange shape.
  6. It might have been built by 53 Sqn Royal Engineers to hide in if compromised whilst pad sha^^ing in the MQ :)
  7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

If its about 6ft in diameter and about 4ft high it could be a British "Norcon " pillbox made out of concrete pipe with a doorway and a number of firing slots cut into it, but that one seems to be tapered towards the top
  8. Could have been left over from WW2 as suggested and just built around when the base went up. If its that well hidded maybe just not spotted
  9. I used to live there in the 70s, I think the pillbox you refer to is the one in the woods near the Married Quarters on the Arsbeck side. I remember that small clearing in the woods also being surrounded by rusted Stacheldraht. According to a friend of mine who was also there in the 1960s you could find old rusted German ambulances and other remnants from WWII in those woods. Never found any ordnance though which is a surprise.
  10. Isn't that the sort of thing that was used on old demolition ranges - ie as a safe observation box? Was Wildenrath one of the locations they used for ordnance gathering & disposal after WW2?
  11. we used to snog in it!!
  12. Yep. Thats the one, about 400 meters in from the fence line.