One-liner from Richard Holmes

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Chinggis, Jun 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to the literary festival at Althorp House today. Not because I’m an arty farty type, but because I wanted to hear Richard Holmes speak in a debate about who was the greatest British general, and to get my copies of his books signed.

In the debate, he was speaking for the Duke of Wellington, Earl Spencer for the Duke of Marlborough and Juliet Barker for Henry V. After they’d each said their bit they invited questions from the audience. An American stood up and said “It seems that for someone to be regarded as a great British general they have to kill a lot of Frenchmen”.

Richard Holmes replied “Well, it is traditional!”

2. Fcuking Brilliant! :D :D :D

3. The man is a legend

4. Quality

5. He's also half-French on his mother's side...

6. Ok who was best, Given that Henry V was a King and a leader of men.

7. The debate went in favour of Wellington, with the Duke of Marlborough a close second and Henry V trailing well behind.

8. good man sat through all of his trench documentaries for history gcse, not bad as far as docs go, and a good laff!

9. A bugger, I blame the time span. How many books and historical documents are there about the man, christ he died in his 30's. We could do with someone like him today.

Edited as I meant how few histrical documents :oops:

10. We could do with some of his yeoman archers.

11. Did anyone hear Richard Holmes and Ken Loach on R4 this morning?

The moderator having discussed various things with his group of guests which included the above named gents finally manuvered the discusion to the point where he could ask Holmes opinion of "The Wind That Shakes The Barley".

Holmes replied that he hadn't seen it (and made clear in the tone of his voice that he wasn't likely to).

To be fair he did observe that The Black and Tans methods were not the way you would do "it".

12. What he SHOULD have said was.....

Killing Frenchmen to the British soldier is as killing indiginous population and third world civilians is to the American soldier!

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I always liked the Nelson quote I use below.

14. Actually I prefer Richard Holmes quote.

15. Birdie - just ignore the cnut.