One leg shorter than the other

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Alpha72, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK I have had a niggling/sharp pain in my hip after phys for some time. Finally went to the med centre yesterday and he punted me to the physio today.
    Physio twisted my leg all over the place etc and came to the conclusion one of my legs are shorter than the other (about a 1cm?) which could be the problem. I am going to get my hip xrayed tomorrow.
    My question, this being a mere niggle plus the fact I can pass the PFT and CFT with only mild discomfort am I going to be down graded? I am due to deploy at the end of the year and would be devastated if this barred me from it.

2. Take this how you wish as I am no longer in.
    I doubt it will have any impact. You are passing the required fitness tests.
    It may well be worth visiting a podiatrist who may be able to sort you out with an insert for you boot to even things up.
    My missus was having real back problems until she saw a podiatrist who made up an insert for her shoe which evened up her gait.

3. A Physio wouldn't make that kind of diagnosis without an X-Ray and Orthopaedic opinion. Ask for a Secondary Care referral from your GP.

4. How old are you?

The reason I ask is that it took them almost 25 years to find out that I have one leg shorter than the other.

Yes, it can fck you up if not treated-an Ortho insert for boots and shoes covered the rest of my service (the final 4 and a bit years) but by then it was too late and the damage had been done.

Yes, you can do PFT/CFT but accumulated use will deteriorate your hip function if it is left untreated.

Yes, you may find that you'll be downgraded: in my case, this was only for my last 2 years of service.

.................and start gathering data and recording the treatment process as you'll need it for your claim.

5. I am 23, it is only a niggling pain though. I really hope I am not barred from Ops.
    The physio made the diagnoses when he looked at my leg and it was shorter, it is noticable... not sure what you meant?

6. Just checked my legs ... mines the same, one shorter than the other!

7. SSM, charge K13 for kit deficiency.

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Are you anywhere near Bham? I can recommend a dam good chiropractor and an excellent sports physio. Both of whom will give you a second opinion, which might be (not saying it is, but it could be) that theres nothing wrong with your leg its your pelvis slightly out of tilt, which apparently happens to most people.

9. I was 18 and in training when I discovered 1 leg was shorter.
    As you say an insole was required but i only really used it during BFT/CFT

Now I never wear it as I am a fat unfit civvy

10. Don't you believe it!!! I took my daughter to a private, self-employed physio (9 - 10 years ago?) and she was told that one leg was shorter. She was given shoe inserts and a sacroiliac belt. A while later, she saw a chiropractor, who diagnosed that, due to some rotation of her pelvis, her "shorter" leg was, in fact, longer than the other one. Both legs now seem to serve her purposes OK ...... but I'm feeling a Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketch coming on. :)

11. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

This must be a common ailment.

I have read this through, got out the tape measure and found out that one of my legs is also shorter than the others.

12. My thoughts were aimed at ensuring you get qualified advice, a physiotherapist should not be delivering a firm diagnosis without an X-Ray / MRI and even then they should refer you on to an Orthopod for a realistic prognosis.

Good luck

TS

13. Everyone has one leg shorter than the other to some degree, hence the enigma of walking around in circles with the absence of a compass and noticeable landmarks i.e a desert.

14. You are Whet and I claim my £20.

Seriously, though: you may find it coming back to haunt you when you're older. I'm now 55 and the hip and lower limb problems are not getting any easier.

15. So just to be sure: did the physio say that this shortness is at both ends of your leg, or just at the top?

MsG