One in three troops hit by tax rise

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by oldbaldy, Apr 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Hit the low paid Gord, why dontcha!

2. with he sounds like a tory what next reduced school funding

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Stop moaning, they are uping the tax credits for single mums, what more do you want.

4. I wonder how many Service and Service widow pensioners are similarly affected? A significant number must lie within the income bracket quoted (£5,200 to £18,500).

5. Yet another reason NOT to vote Labour in the next election.

6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

This is where it get a little more complicated.
    War Pensions are tax free. OAP is not but the tax allowance for someone aged 65 and over jumps from £5435 to £9030.
    Those aged under 65 with taxable income of under £18.5K are the ones being hit.
    A younger war widow may have a job as well as her war pension & only that part will be hit, so she may or may not be better off.

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Governments own figures suggest that over 5 million people will be involved, so I think some of us will fall into that category.

However a leading TORY suggested that this is a good move and would simplify the tax system. As is normal, some of us are crapped on.

Nobody seemed to want to complain when the original statement was made over 1 year ago. Cheap point scoring by other parties with nobody saying what they would do instead. The conservative party have already said they would not be able change any think covered in the last two budgets and now toy boy Cameron is saying that he would reintroduce the 10p tax threshold.

Once again our great politicians use double speak.

8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Liarbor MPs voted for it in the 2007 Finance Bill & being generous perhaps thought that the new chancellor would use an above inflation uplift in tax allownces to offset the problem for the low paid.
    There again maybe they are just thick sheep & have only just cottoned on.
    At the time there was plenty about it in the national press.

9. This is flippin' outrageous! The rich get richer and the poor poorer. It does my head in! especially as they have released what all the MP's are spending! No wonder there isn't much left in the kitty!

I mean just look at this 'Shahid Malik, the Junior International Minister and MP for Dewsbury spent £26,069 on on stationery!'.

They wonder why less and less people are voting and trusting in politics and government. Money taking idiots!

I have just found this; 'Siobhain McDonagh, the Labour MP for Mitcham & Morden spent £49,107 on stationery!'. It's just wrong!

In Total for the government spent £87.6 million on expenses...nuts!

10. I watched Brown's budget speech live when he introduced this (yep sad I know). The measure to cut 22% band to 20% and make 20% the starting band was greeted by whoops and yells by the Liarbour MPs. It was then I realised that the MPs had no idea that the minimum tax band was 10% and that the lowest paid members of the public would have to pay more in income tax. Of course MPs were too busy at the troughs to notice this.

Last Saturday a female Liarbour minister said on Radio 4 that over the last few years the people at the bottom of the earnings table had proportionally done better than those at the top. What twisted world do these people live in?