One in nine people living in Britain is foreign

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Odo_de_StAmand, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excellent.
    Still, it gives us another issue we can quietly ignore, we should celebrate the diversity and muti-culturism of modern Britain.

On the other hand we can give them all a vote in an EU referendum when it comes around can't we. Its a gauranteed 10% of the vote in favour before we even start.

2. Only 1 in 9???

3. I was gonna say exactly the same thing, certainly where I live I'm pretty sure it's more!

4. I fail to see the significance of the statistics. It still means that the other eight are Brits, doesn't it? So it's not as if the country's in imminent danger of being overrun by "forrinaz", is it?

MsG

5. But 8 in 9 are presumably British.

6. Apart

from the ones that aren't

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Pah - that's nothing. In America, there's 112 foreigners for every 1 American . . . . .

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

In America, aren't they all foreigners, except the ones we used to call Red Indians?

Just as in the UK we're all foreigners, settled warriors, freed slaves and refugees?

9. Have they included all of us Pad Brats from BAOR and farther afield? And if so, and me now being a self defined minority, I want more rights than everyone else!

10. both my wife and I fit in this category - both born outside the UK and we each had to gain citizenship.

but we are both citizens. I got mine through serving in HMF and my wife through her British born parents.

typical example of stats meaning anything you want them to.

11. The 1 in 9 is those not born here, ie it excludes British people born here of "foreign" parents.

Add these in and it is much more than 1 in 9..........

Still can't remember voting for this in a Party's manifesto

Odo

12. In WW1 Polish and Italian Americans were disproportionately over represented in their Armed Forces.

In more recent times that is true of African Americans.

But the British Armed Forces ? I don't think we see even a proportionate representation of ethnic minorities.

On a recent Question Time Ms Chakrabarti, with the light of the zealot in her eyes, announced that we have grown closer as a community. I think she believes it too. Perhaps she does not use taking proportionate responsibility as a criterion then ?

13. Interesting point, given that it is said that the Armed Forces draw more proportionally from the less well off in society.

Of course a major difference is that in-comers to America are happy to conform to the American way, whereas we "celebrate" diversity and people are encouraged to retain their own cultures in their own communities

There again maybe just getting benefits is easier........

Odo

14. Are there similar stats for the Algarve, Tuscany, Normandy,...

Or is it only foreigners who aren't allowed to move to another country?