One in 10 soldiers is recruited overseas

One in 10 soldiers is recruited overseas
By Graeme Wilson, Political Correspondent
(Filed: 13/04/2006)

Ten per cent of soldiers in the Army are foreign nationals, new Government figures show. The number of overseas recruits has risen dramatically in recent years as the Armed Forces struggle to overcome a shortage of home-grown applicants.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...rmy13.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/13/ixhome.html

“Fiji is the single biggest source of overseas troops, with 1,965 Fijians currently serving. The influx from the South Pacific island is believed to date from a visit its troops made to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo in 1998.”
I thought that large scale Fijian recruiting started in 61/62?

Rumrunner said:
It was suspended shortly afterwards when there was a dnager of robbing the nation of its men and overwhelmingly diluting the ethos of the Army. It was restarted as the article describes. I would not be surprised if one or two got in between times but there have been two concerted recruiting drives, a generation apart.

Solon_of_Athens said:
Rumrunner said:
It was suspended shortly afterwards when there was a dnager of robbing the nation of its men and overwhelmingly diluting the ethos of the Army. It was restarted as the article describes. I would not be surprised if one or two got in between times but there have been two concerted recruiting drives, a generation apart.
I wonder if Sgt Labalaba Takavesi both of Mirbat fame, were from that 61/62 intake? Very brave men.