one for the technically minded lot

#1
First off forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post my question in but wasn't sure where else might be appropriate!

The basic dilemma is, i want to change from normal stuck in one place and cant go anywhere round the house because I've got a thousand cables connected to my laptop type internet, to wireless internet so i can go anywhere including the bogs and still be able to read my favourite arrse posts!

However i don't want people who are to cheep to buy there own internet benefiting from my upgrade so i would also like to make it secure!

If anyone could please advise me on what ill need to buy, and how to go about achieving my aim it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance a fellow arrser (admittedly with few posts but all the same thank you)
 
#2
Probably wants posting here: ARRSE Online Gaming and Computer Advice

But in a nutshell, you will need a wireless router. I would recommend a Netgear model - you need to make sure you get one which connects to your type of broadband - e.g. cable or telephone line.

Then you need to ensure that you are using WPA encryption - this is not set by default on the router, but is easy to configure. You may need to check that your laptop supports it too.

msr
 
#5
Personally, I'd stay away from Netgear routers as they can be a bit iffy.

Go for a Linksys routher instead-they're basically a cheap Cisco router.

Best way to lock down your router is through WPA as previously mentioned or by MAC address.

It may be worth noting though that if someone wants to use your wireless network and is determined to do so, there are means and ways of doing it very easily...
 
#6
the_matelot said:
Personally, I'd stay away from Netgear routers as they can be a bit iffy.

Go for a Linksys routher instead-they're basically a cheap Cisco router.

Best way to lock down your router is through WPA as previously mentioned or by MAC address.

It may be worth noting though that if someone wants to use your wireless network and is determined to do so, there are means and ways of doing it very easily...
I bought a wireless router so my son could surf in his room, however before i got round to setting it up he managed to pick up the neighbours wifi, i had to go next door and secure it for the neighbour. I guess half the estate could have been using it.
And matelot can you pm the details?
 
#7
yeah i understand if someone really wants it they can use it but at least it will keep the opportunist at bay

how do i check to see if my laptop can do the WPA thing

apologise for my ignorance
 
#8
simply_Nash said:
how do i check to see if my laptop can do the WPA thing
It's a standard part of Windows normally (software only - the laptop itself only needs wireless in it). Something like Control Panel > Wireless Networking.
If your laptop doesn't have built in wireless, you can buy dongles (ISYN, that really is the name) which plug into your USB port and do the same thing.
 
#9
bomb_mac said:
And matelot can you pm the details?
No, I won't as it's deemed illegal in this country unless you are pen testing your own network. If you do do it and get caught, you're looking at jail time.

Simply,

Just follow the instructions with your wireless router-it'll be very easy to do if you follow each stage, trust me!
 
#10
I thank you
 
#12
You need to buy a thing called a router.
This will be plugged into your phone socket.
You can also plug a few computers into it.

But you can also use the wireless connection to connect your lap-top.

How to stop other people using it;

1. Encryption. Set it up (read the manual) so the signal from your laptop to the router is encrypted.

2. Use Mac address filtering. Your wireless card in your laptop has a unique serial number burned into it. You can tell your router to only accept signals from that card.

How to find the MAC address.;

1. Pull out the card and read the label on it.
or
2. Once you have the router (Day One - with no restrictions yet in place) log onto your router from your laptop - How ?
Answer ; type 192.168.2.1 (check manual for exact numbers) where you have http://www.arrse.co uk in the top line of your browser.
Log in to your router.
Ask you router who is connected.(Listed by Mac address).
Now you can set your router to only accept certain computers, and you can set passwords etc. And encryption.
 
#13
#14
the_matelot said:
It may be worth noting though that if someone wants to use your wireless network and is determined to do so, there are means and ways of doing it very easily...
currently its impractical (ie take a fcuk of a long time) to crack WPA so its still considered reasonably secure - assuming its configured correctly. Current crack time on WEP is 59 seconds, so not even worth considering.

Oh yeah you might want to change the default password on your router as well, its normally 'admin' 'admin'.
 
#15
furq said:
the_matelot said:
It may be worth noting though that if someone wants to use your wireless network and is determined to do so, there are means and ways of doing it very easily...
currently its impractical (ie take a fcuk of a long time) to crack WPA so its still considered reasonably secure - assuming its configured correctly. Current crack time on WEP is 59 seconds, so not even worth considering.

Oh yeah you might want to change the default password on your router as well, its normally 'admin' 'admin'.
I knew they weren't totally secure but I didn't think it was that bad!
mine is set to 128 bit WEP.
Should I now change that to:

WPA-PSK(no Server) or
WPA(With Radius Server)

These are the other options on my Belkin 54G
 
#16
The RADIUS server is more for the business world who have a Windows 2000/2003 infrastructure and is another way of authenticating users.

Another way to secure a wireless network is to not broadcast the SSID. This can lead to problems further down the line when the wife has 'tidied away' the A4 book that you wrote all the details down in...... :x

My advice, as already mentioned, get it working with WPA first and once your happy with that look at the other security featues such as MAC Authentication (sometimes called Access Control List) and not broadcasting the SSID.

and when you take it into the bathroom/toilet get ready to put the laptop down and aim away once you reach the vinegar strokes...
 
#17
The problem with WEP is that it sends the key out with every packet so even 128bit WEP2 is still vunerable but will just take a bit longer to crack.

WPA or WPA2 is the industry recomended function, but bare in mind that WPA can also be cracked like passwords if you use standard words, names etc... it is recommended that you use 54 random letters or 39 random ASCII charactors which will give you 256bit encryption
 
#18
Gyran_Tol said:
WPA or WPA2 is the industry recomended function, but bare in mind that WPA can also be cracked like passwords if you use standard words, names etc... it is recommended that you use 54 random letters or 39 random ASCII charactors which will give you 256bit encryption
You get 256 bit encryption whatever passphrase length you use...

msr
 
#19
It's this simple:

Get an Apple (Mac), get an Airport Express.

Hook the Airport Express up to your modem, your iMac, or Macbook, or whatever will automatically recognise the Airport. Done.

The wireless link between the computer and the Airport is exclusive and cannot be used by anyone else, except when you allow it.

It is a bit expensive since Apple computers aren't the cheapest ones.

The 55 points solution is to hookup your computer (Wintell machine?) to an Airport Express. This works just as well.
 
#20
simply_Nash said:
First off forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post my question in but wasn't sure where else might be appropriate!

The basic dilemma is, i want to change from normal stuck in one place and cant go anywhere round the house because I've got a thousand cables connected to my laptop type internet, to wireless internet so i can go anywhere including the bogs and still be able to read my favourite arrse posts!

However i don't want people who are to cheep to buy there own internet benefiting from my upgrade so i would also like to make it secure!

If anyone could please advise me on what ill need to buy, and how to go about achieving my aim it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance a fellow arrser (admittedly with few posts but all the same thank you)
Now bud just changed over my wireless broadband account went to SKY on thier max deal you get a free wirless router ,cables and cd-rom in the package once installed it provides an encryption user ID and Password on a netgear router, hope this helps
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Armed Forces Jokes 4
Apocolypse The NAAFI Bar 87
R The NAAFI Bar 1

Similar threads

Latest Threads