One for the SLR Armourers

Troy

LE
Being RLC you can just take it over to the compressed air line and blast it out with a great big puff...

Being RLC you can just take it over to the compressed air line and blast it out with a great big puff...
I've always suspected the RLC......

Troy

LE
We all know that the end loop of the pull through should never be used for flannelette, just in case the pull through either breaks or gets stuck inside the barrel. Instead this loop is saved for the "Armourer's Hook".

Do you know about the Armourer's Hook?

It's like a butcher's hook, but you close one eye and squint with the other...

I'll get my coat.

Diko

Old-Salt
We used to dream of cleaning kits. We had 36 SLRs, 2 Brens and two Stens, we had 5 cleaning kits and pull throughs one bottle of oil. Never had a 4x2 stuck in the barrel.

The other is a Sten I think, sTory with the weapon is that tommys son, tommy jr was shooting at the Huns son in WW2. Fires , weak charge, fired again and again, there are 3 or 4 bullets nose to tail up the barrel.

Both were sectioned so you can see the bullets.

I reckon one more round would have cleared the lot...

...probably

stuck.jpg

The other is a Sten I think, sTory with the weapon is that tommys son, tommy jr was shooting at the Huns son in WW2. Fires , weak charge, fired again and again, there are 3 or 4 bullets nose to tail up the barrel.
There is certainly an Enfield revolver in the SASC Museum at Warminster with the same problem - all six from the cylinder stuck up the barrel but with no real signs of bulging.

There is also a short 75mm, one of a pair in a turret in Fort Vaux (I think) at Verdun with an incoming stuck in the end of the barrel.

HE117

LE
Another tactic was to use a wood screw braised to the end of a T bar cleaning rod and pick stuff out from one end..

I think in the Museum in Maidstone, they have two weapons on show , one is a WW1 enfield. Seems Tommy was going to shoot the hun , just as the hun shot at tommy, the Huns bullet went down tommys barrel and jammed the working parts.

Both were sectioned so you can see the bullets.
The displays at Kineton have a number of examples of this type of horribleness, barrels sawn in half to show the effects, plus all sorts of other mishap. I don't know if there's a website which shows it all; @dingerr ?

HE117

LE
I too have heard of the "hot rod" solution, and although subjectively meaningful, is unlikely to work, if only because the temperature of the end of the rod will have dropped like a stone by being shoved down a cold barrel!

What would be really bad is if you tried this with a loaded muzzle loader.. and just for the record, the number of these which turn up loaded is frightening!

Blogg

LE
Last year I suffered with bore snake jammed in the barrel of a .223 thanks to an idiot who may have been my son putting a (over large) patch through the end loop and doing the 200lb gorilla routine.

Pulled the cord off the main body.

That was a swine to get out but come out it did: penetrating oil, much time and finally a 5mm polished steel rod wrapped in PTFE tape, coated with grease and much tapping with a 1kg hammer.

Don't hammer! Tap and take your time.

Latest Threads