One for the REME Armourers (SLR)

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
Just curious, how did you sort out the problem when eejit recruits like me turned up with a broken pull-through having been over-generous (cough) with the 4x2 cleaning cloths and jammed the lint-free up the SLR's spout?

It happened a lot in training apparently, over-zealously cleaning the gat before inspection time

By transferring from trainee to armourer a one pound note.
(long years ago)

CFB
Take an Orange from the box.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
One rod, one rawhide mallet and bags of welly. Not exactly rocket science...

BopBopBop

War Hero
Just curious, how did you sort out the problem when eejit recruits like me turned up with a broken pull-through having been over-generous (cough) with the 4x2 cleaning cloths and jammed the lint-free up the SLR's spout?

It happened a lot in training apparently, over-zealously cleaning the gat before inspection time
Have you got it stuck again?

arcticfox042

War Hero
Had a few brought into the shop with rods stuck fast as well..... (2 Jars of Coffee....)

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Had a few brought into the shop with rods stuck fast as well..... (2 Jars of Coffee....)
As an armourer, I never bothered with that stupid screw-in removal tool. A damn good malleting on a solid steel .30" rod removed any blockage eventually.

Anyway - bloody Coffee? What are you, some kind of homosexualist? Slab / yellow handbag always was the usual price.

arcticfox042

War Hero
As an armourer, I never bothered with that stupid screw-in removal tool. A damn good malleting on a solid steel .30" rod removed any blockage eventually.

Anyway - bloody Coffee? What are you, some kind of homosexualist? Slab / yellow handbag always was the usual price.
Stop giving away the tricks of the trade, they should remain a dark art.......

When I was in phase 1 & 2 training I remember using bigger than the prescribed 4x2 flannelette, mine and other ********’s (we were only 18!) excuse was that, give it a bit extra and that stubborn bit of carbon will dislodge and we’d pass inspection.
Being REME we usually got ourselves out of a sticky situation, without the dreaded trip to the armourer’s shop for a large dose of ridicule and wrist slapping, we were never privy to the dark arts, but our method usually involved ramming something down the barrel and hitting said something with something else heavy.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I once watched a recruit trying to rip his 4 x 2 the wrong way to apply to his 'pull through'
Edited to add: It was nice watching armourers working on Lee Enfields, The SLR made it all hammer and file stuff, and with what seemed to be very little skill!

Last edited: