One for the PTI's

P

phab2011

When viewing the army fit website it gives a programme and podcast, however, I can't figure out the differences between the running speeds. In fact, I asked a mate who didn't have a clue and also rang a local personal trainer whose answer was that I should only run as fast as I am comfortable!

So, could someone please decipher the following:

What is a jog?
What is a medium paced run?
What is a good pace???
What is a fast run?
What is a steady run?
What is a hard run?
I think I can figure out that a brisk walk is walking as fast as you can without breaking into a jog/run!

When viewing the army fit website it gives a programme and podcast, however, I can't figure out the differences between the running speeds. In fact, I asked a mate who didn't have a clue and also rang a local personal trainer whose answer was that I should only run as fast as I am comfortable!

So, could someone please decipher the following:

What is a jog?
What is a medium paced run?
What is a good pace???
What is a fast run?
What is a steady run?
What is a hard run?
I think I can figure out that a brisk walk is walking as fast as you can without breaking into a jog/run!
What is a jog? Is a run anyone can do...usually reserved for wives.

What is a medium paced run? Is a run you can do with your dog usually a springer.

What is a good pace??? Is a run you can drink water whilst running (without choking).

What is a fast run? Is a run you do when the NAFFI wagon comes calling.

What is a steady run? Is a run you do home from the Pub.

What is a hard run? Is a run where one needs to place a smartie tube up ones asshole to enable easier breathing. Hence the phrase...breathing out of ones ass.

Hope this helps.

As far as I remember it's based on percentage of your maximum heart rate. Your maximal heart rate is easily calculated and there are accepted norms, pretty sure there is also another method which is perceived exertion. ie how hard it feels.

No point asking a PTI what a steady state run is :D Every lesson they say that is what we are goin gto do, oddly, turns in to some sort of sprint session.

It is all subjective! What you could do if not using a heart rate monitor is use the RPE scale (rate of perceived exertion)- google it! basically uses a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest! Gauge the other runs from there. Good HRMS/GPS Trg devices often have pre set pace for a jog, run, sprint etc that you can alter when you learn your own paces. As a guideline ACFT is 15 min per mile pace (6.4kph or 4mph) Commando speed march pace is 10mmp or 9.6 kph. To do a BFT/PFT/BPFA/PFA or whatever they're calling it now 2.4 km in under 9.5min you need to run at 15kph. Hope I've done my sums right & this has been useful. Kind rgds X-swords.

No point asking a PTI what a steady state run is :D Every lesson they say that is what we are goin gto do, oddly, turns in to some sort of sprint session.
Unless there is a danger of anyone running faster than the PTI in which case it turns into a sprint and press up session.

Er. ACFT 1.5 miles in 15 mins. AFT (formerly the CFT) 8 miles in 2 hours.
Admittedly I'm a calcu-tard but surely to do 8 miles AFT in 2 hours requires 15 minutes per mile...

Having been taken round a couple the other weekend, thats what the PTI was doing.....

Its 2 different tests (or assesments?). The ACFT is 1.5 mile in 15 minutes carrying 20kg kit inc helmet and weapon. The CFT/CFA/AFT or whatever we're supposed to call it these days is 8 miles in 2 hours carrying 15-25kg (depending on Corps). Which would be a 15 minute mile, but you need to stick in a couple of water breaks.

Its 2 different tests (or assesments?). The ACFT is 1.5 mile in 15 minutes carrying 20kg kit inc helmet and weapon. The CFT/CFA/AFT or whatever we're supposed to call it these days is 8 miles in 2 hours carrying 15-25kg (depending on Corps). Which would be a 15 minute mile, but you need to stick in a couple of water breaks.
Yep. ACFT is 6mph. AFT/CFT (whatever it's called - 8 miler) is 4mph.

Alot of the PTI's and ex PTI's I have met just act like most new/poor quality civillian PT's act to be honest. They all exclaim you are going to be doing X but end up doing Y because their ego kicks in and they feel they have to smash everyone into the ground and ESPECIALLY if that person can outperfom them at a particular event/exercise/movement.

Luckily for me I love hanging out my arse snorkel everytime I train!

Alot of the PTI's and ex PTI's I have met just act like most new/poor quality civillian PT's act to be honest. They all exclaim you are going to be doing X but end up doing Y because their ego kicks in and they feel they have to smash everyone into the ground and ESPECIALLY if that person can outperfom them at a particular event/exercise/movement.

Luckily for me I love hanging out my arse snorkel everytime I train!
Interesting Bob. All lesson's should be recorded on the unit fitness program, risk assessments written, included with a lesson plan. If this is not happening maybe you should approach the offenders chain of command and ensure that the planned lesson is adhered to, in this day and age of claims from injuries, personnel should be very wary of taking incorrect lessons. If however the lesson has to be adjusted while on the lesson for the benefit of those taking part, the PTI can make this call, personally I make you run till your eyes bleed and your teeth fall out :)

Interesting Bob. All lesson's should be recorded on the unit fitness program, risk assessments written, included with a lesson plan. If this is not happening maybe you should approach the offenders chain of command and ensure that the planned lesson is adhered to, in this day and age of claims from injuries, personnel should be very wary of taking incorrect lessons. If however the lesson has to be adjusted while on the lesson for the benefit of those taking part, the PTI can make this call, personally I make you run till your eyes bleed and your teeth fall out :)
Easier said than done. We have no dedicated PTIs. All the guys do it in addition to their day jobs. Add in a lack of a gym, fast balls a plenty and it leads to PT sessions having to be a wee bit reactive sometimes. That said I am going to miss it when I run out.