One for the plane spotters...

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Cold_Collation, Aug 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

2. Attached Files:

• Well.jpg
      Well.jpg
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
  3. I think its a P40B - Tomahawk. I don't think the P40 E Kittyhawk has the same faring for machine guns in the nose.

But here is one for you.

Who originated the shark's teeth noseart on the P40s?

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

112 Sqdn Desert Air Force, thgough nicked from the Luftwaffe

5. Thats what I think.

I know some Luftwaffe units used the sharks mouth on the Me110 and Ju87 - but I am not sure the idea was copied rather than copnvergent thinking. Chenault's Flying tigers had seen the photos of the RAF and RSAF P40s, in US photo magazines. However, I am not sure 12 Sqn ever got close enough to see the nose markings on Me110s or were avid readers of "Signal" magazine.

6. It's American, therefore a P40B or C Warhawk is most likely

How far back do you want to go? air_bf110_3.jpg sharkmouth AEG IVG.jpg Roland C2.jpg sharkmouth BE2C.jpg

7. rampant

If I can remeber rightly ZG 76 used to fly missions ove the North Sea and UK, so it's possible that they learned about it from encounters that other Sqdns had.

MARTIN DREWES

8. I reckon it all started with a Liney and a paintbrush

9. The story, if I recall the history of 112 Sqn correctly, is that one pilot - Fg Off Peter Brunton, thought that the contours of the P-40's nose leant themselves to a shark-mouth, and had them painted on. The other squadron members thought that this was a damn good idea and stole what was meant to be an individual aircraft marking for the entire squadron. Again, this is from memory, but ISTR that Brunton wouldn't have been in a position to have been influenced by the Luftwaffe shark-mouths, and it's more likely that this is a classic example of people coming up with the same idea at about the same time; not that the idea was new as SUU23 points out - there was at least one Sopwith Dolphin with a shark mouth (or an approximation thereof) in the first little spat with the Germans, and two Bristol Fighters carried what might be thought of a shark mouth markings (although if memory serves they were, in fact, a Crocodile and Pirhana mouth)

• Like Like x 1
  10. rampant

You are such a geek ^_~

What's the oldest type of jet fighter still in active service?

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

12. Grumblegrunt

13. rampant

Neither, you'll be deliciously surprised when you hear the answert though.

14. Grumblegrunt

well it cant be the f-86, javelin, f4 or the starfighter so must be a mig or chinese thing. those tin pot africans use them