one for the history buffs

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Targets_UP, Aug 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. can anyone help,
    just found out one of my realtions was commissioned in the GLOSTERSHIRE ENGINEER VOLUNTEER CORPS IN 1863 AS A DOCTOR.
    Any one know who they are and where they went?
    many thanks dar
  2. Righteo so far I've got;

They were formed in Bristol April 1861 of men with connections to the railway

Found this as well, not sure if its any help though;

Engineer and Railway Volunteer Corps - 1865-1993
    The Engineer and Railway Volunteer Corps was raised in 1865 as one of the Volunteer units. It consisted of entirely Volunteer officers drawn from the managers and engineers of the principal railways of the day.

By 1914 their title had changed to 'Engineer and Railway Staff Corps'. During both the First and Second World War their contribution in the coordinating the movement of troops and materiel on the railway systems was inestimable.

In 1943 their function was amended "to provide a body of skilled engineers and transportation experts to advise the War Office on such engineering and transportation matters as may be put before it".

Their title was changed again in 1984 to the 'Engineer and Transport Staff Corps (V)' recognising their links with the then Royal Transport Corps and since 1993 the Royal Logistics Corps.

From what I've read the volunteer corp were the forerunners of the modern territorial army and orginated in Britains long standing amateur military tradition. They being essentially TA may well have never deployed outside of the county. The last is mere speculation. Hope it helps

3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Slightly off the original topic but I vaguely remember some bloke, head honcho of a railway company, volunteered (or was volunterred) upon the outbreak of the Great War and went straight in as a Major General. Or did I dream it?
  4. good stuff lads,i cam across his commision papers,not from queen vic but from the lord Lt of bristol,we dont yet know if he was drafted or volunteered,as he was a Doctor cant see him just joining up
  5. I suspect you're thinking of Sir Sam Fay, who at the outbreak of the war was the General Manager of the Great Central Railway, and who was subsequently appointed as Director General of Movements and Railways at the War Office. This was a civilian position though, and no military rank was attached to him.

6. I'd say he volunteered at a guess as during the late 1800's there was a real fad for the various volunteer forces and it was considered the done thing for a young gentleman to spend his weekends on manouvers.
  7. Arrgh...the chap who got zoomed up to two-star rank was the fellow in charge of the roads and pioneer/navvy outfit. However it is late and I cannot get my ROM brain to operate properly!
  8. Thank God for sleep!! The chap I was thinking of was Sir Eric Geddes. A civilian railway boss, he was talent-spotted by Lloyd George who had him appointed as as Deputy Director of Supply. He was then posted to France in 1916 as Inspector-General Transportation of the BEF. In order for him to have full weight when dealing with the military men, he was awarded the honorary title Major-General, at the age of 41.

Interestingly a year later he became first Controller of the Navy and then first Lord of the Admiralty. Once more became an honorary flag officer - as a Vice Admiral. He was responsible for the sacking of Jellicoe!

A good war??
  9. If you live in the southwest, it might be worth visiting the Regiments of Gloucestershire museum in Gloucester Docks. They have a very good collection, and they have a very good searchable computer system with a lot of information on units. Well they did have, hopefully it survived the flood. :(