One for the dentists

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BrunoNoMedals, Nov 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I had my first ever session with a hygienist on Tuesday. It was enlightening, to say the least, and since said hygienist was a not-unattractive young geordie lass who forced me to tilt my face into her chest while she worked it was, at times, quite fun.

However, for the most part it was ******* agony.

I was told things were likely to be sore for a few days after, but I don't think they quite meant what I'm experiencing now. Part of the session included some air abrasion, minor drilling and fissure sealing on a couple of wisdom teeth. During this process I think the high-speed drill has caught the inside of my cheek and along the gum, essentially burning it. Since that Tuesday I've barely been able to eat, or speak for more than a few seconds, without catching the various tender areas between my teeth. The eating part would be a nice excuse to lose a few pounds, but I'm already doing that following my hiatus hernia repair job barely two months ago.

I've got a tube of Bonjela on standby, but this stings like **** to apply and only gives around 20 minutes of pain relief before I'm back to square one. I'm also conscious that I'm going well over the stated dose by applying it every half hour, pretty much all day. Paracetomol and ibuprofen have been next to useless. Even my last few codeine (remnants from aforementioned hiatus hernia op) didn't touch it.

Is there anything I can be doing or buying that will help? I'm keeping it pretty-well disinfected with regular brushing (which is also bloody difficult in the circumstances) and mouthwashing. What I could do with is something that numbs the area almost completely for a decent amount of time, and anything that speeds up the healing is a bonus - although I also understand that any anaesthetic will just mask the fact I'm chewing my cheek off and making things worse. I'm back in to see the dentist on Thursday and will be mentioning the situation then, although I may also phone on Monday if I'm not seeing any improvement.

Suggestions based around manning the **** up, and speculation regarding the moisture content of my underwear, will be noted and "taken under advisement".

Cheers,

Bruno

2. You tried anbesol liquid? Corsodyl mouthwash may also help. I'm sure Fang farrier may pop along with some advice.

3. BrunoNoMedals

Never heard of Anbesol; what does it do?

Considered moving onto Corsodyl but, as I say, mainly worried about the pain rather than possible infection at the minute.

Thursday's dentist visit is to have a brace fitted (I'm nearly 30 and paying for the privilege of looking like a 14 year old twat - awesome), so if it's still an issue by then I dread to think what a piece of metal wire rubbing against it will do...

Edit: Googled Anbesol - may go looking for that in the morning!

4. An easy to follow two step plan is the answer to your problem;

1. Get smashed.

2. Erm, stay smashed.

5. BrunoNoMedals

The cause of, and answer to, all life's problems!

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

6. Get yourself back to the dentist on Monday.

In the meantime, warm salt water mouthwashes (sorry, it will sting, I won't lie!) and use whatever pain relief you usually do (paracetamol, ibuprofen etc). If you can get to a chemist, the Corsadyl mouthwash is good too, use it after brushing (if you can brush at the moment).

7. Have the offending teeth pulled. Job jobbed.

Toothless Union Soldier.jpg

8. BrunoNoMedals

Rucks, that's what I look like now. This dentist is charging me £4500 to fix it all!

Thanks Katy - salt water mouthwash was already done and the immense pain it caused meant that everything afterwards feels almost nice. Psychological pain relief at its best.

9. Seconded

10. Get on the phone to the dentist at the earliest opportunity. The pain you are experiencing is not normal!

11. Oh you thanked her that's nice.

12. BrunoNoMedals

Sorry Jarrod, I am eternally grateful for your input as well! Xx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

13. Only use Corsodyl if you want to talk like the Chef from the Muppets.

14. BrunoNoMedals

Mrs ordered a curry and I didn't feel like missing out, so been to the shop for some Anbesol.

That stuff is immense. My tongue went numb within 10 seconds.

THANK YOU JARROD.

15. Or alternatively.................................learn how to use a ******* toothbrush you minging ****.