One for the Boffins....

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible to build a long range detector (up to one mile) of devices operating in the 15.75 KHz waveband?

I believe there is one short-range , and I mean up to 15' on the market, but what would be needed to build one that operated at greater ranges?

2. I haven't got the faintest idea, but I'm intrigued.

Do you mind if I ask why you want to know?

3. Do you intend to break into somewhere but want to be sure that you're not on CCTV?

(I, also, can only find max 15' range)

4. LOL! Bugger , rumbled.

Need something that will detect handheld video cameras , I presume they are on the same frequency , or are they different?

5. I can't imagine that many video cameras would emit a signal strong enough to be detectable at that kind of range.

6. You're going 'dogging', aren't you, you cheeky scamp?! lol

7. As far as I can gather from my 15 minutes of becoming an expert in the subject, 15.75 KHz is the frequency used by HARD-WIRED cameras, hence why there aren't so many detectors available. Now if you'd said WHAT it was for, I'd probably have had an answer for you by now.

As it is, it's bed-time for me (sod it, a quick search on MSN Search under "video camera detector" gives the first one as having 50m range. If you're going to list your requirements by instalments, you can search the rest yourself).

Night night.

8. By the time the full story comes out, we'll probably find he's trying to find a cheaper version of a speed camera detector. Grrrmph.

9. Or he'll be the lead in a NOTW story about some bloke going around frying the brains of pensioners with some strange home made device then raping their pets.....................

10. Actually, it was looking at that attack on the US convoy in Afghanistan. I just thought , these people invariably video their attack. If you get a vidcam signature in the middle of nowhere , chances are you're about to get zapped or at the very least you're being CTR'd.

Detect the signal, react quicker to the possible threat. Everything electronic/electro-mechanical has some sort of signature.

11. Good idea. Pass it up the C of C. (and let them search Google!)

12. On similar lines (to my way of lateral thinking), as everything has a resonant frequency at which it self-destructs, why has nobody developed a signal generator to destroy RDX, cartridge propellant (and, ultimately swords and half-bricks)?

13. There probably is a way to do it but the problem would be that you would need a dish antenna about 1.5 miles across to be able to pick up the signature. :lol:

14. Sod the signature, it just needs a range greater than the blast area.

15. There was a book written about this subject.
    Some sci-fi thing about how a company built a device that could render all forms of explosives inert.

Ended with an all-out war with much blood and death if I remember correctly. :?