One for PTP to get moist over ;-)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by daz, Nov 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daz

daz LE

2. Flugwerk didn't build the 262 , it was the Texas Airplane Factory wasn't it?

Still, a 262 would be nice but I still want a Spitfire

3. More chance of that than you getting a leggy looker. Are the two not mutually exclusive as well? You sad man... :D :D

Wasn't the 262 pretty liable to engine worries, like problems when taking off and landing and climbing and cruising...? Needing very gentle adjustments to throttle from what I remember reading, so what would H+S and CAA think of trying to get one of those airborne? Would it not just fall out of the sky?

4. Oprah Winfrey?

5. daz

daz LE

Erh, opps, sorry posted the wrong link there PTP, it’s been corrected now mate

The builders are the Texas Airplane Factory BTW

6. Certainly looks graceful, I was waitng for the swallow to be bumped by a spit or mustang on landing.

7. 10 hour life span on the original (if you were lucky)

The 'replica' uses a pair of new General Electric or some such, the sort of jets that power Bizjets around.

8. Apparently if the krauts had been able to use the original all steel designs the engine's could achieve 250-300 hours.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/technical/technical_3.htm

Liked this little bit on the replicas J85 engine:

J-85 In purely theoretical terms, the added power of the J-85 should give the new production Me 262s a speed advantage of at least 75 miles per hour over any previous generation Me 262.

The fact remains that the airframe was never designed to handle the stress loads encountered at speeds in the 600 mile per hour range. To push the aircraft into this environment simply because additional power "happens to be available" is a highly dangerous and ill-advised move.

In the interest of safety, the Me 262 Project will be placing a placarded airspeed limitation upon the jets in the vicinity of 500 MPH. The official position of the project is that there is simply no need -- or benefit -- in flying these aircraft any faster.

9. I saw a Spit last week, one of the latter Mks in a garden near RAF st Mawgan, Cornwall. Looked good, dunno about flyabillity. Pop him a few quid he might let you have it!

10. If I recall correctly, the ME262 had good engines made from bad materials and after each flight it needed a minor servicing.....

No good as a fighter bomber as the cockpit was in an awkward position and also the flying time was shoddy!

Correct me if I am wrong...

11. All early Gas turbines had short lives, 25 hrs for the RR engines in the Meteor.
    The Western nations had better metallurgy available and the critical component the 'High Pressure Turbine' was within a few years able to accept higher tempratures.
    Much of the skill in the design of these aircooled engines is to keep a flow of 'Cool' ( in reality Very Hot) gas around the Hot End parts. Anything to keep it below the critical temp.
    john
    Oh La Aviator also has to keep the RMP below its placard speed or the hot turbine just expands drastically and contacts outer casing.

12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmKFqFDRfrQ

And a previous 190 recovery from Karelia.

I was lucky enough to see this aircraft when it arrived in the UK. The condition was unbelievable. The tyres were still holding pressure, and when the oil samples were sent for testing , it was felt the oil was still good for use.

Now in the States with Paul Allen? I think.

13. Fantastic shots.
    Memory says post first flt of replica 262 one leg on the U/C collapsed while taxing in.
    john
    Rooshia must still be full of old WW II cabs. They found the remains of a WW II, Lightning in the hills around where I live. The Local airforce got involved and it er Vanished.

14. Wonder how long till the Air national guard take a pot shot at it :D .It would be hard to resist wouldnt it ?Air borne nazi walts .