one for Jarrod .

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sirbhp, Mar 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

With this announcement that we may all be going back to the 19th century as regards Antibiotics .
    It was my understanding that the Russians were working on a form of antibiotic but stopped work once Penicillin was announced .
    Would you have any idea about this , i scanned google etc to no effect . ta muchley .

2. The Communist newspaper alleged that the Russians discovered penicillin many years before Alexander Fleming, and garlic is called the Russian antibiotic, other than that i don't know, perhaps Jarrod knows more.

3. The organic chemistry of drug design and drug action by Richard Silverman is a good read about such stuff. The copy I have is at work though and I've no idea.
    It costs a massive amount of money to develop new drugs and only a tiny per cent then get to animal testing.
    A lot of drug companies have merged, reps can't give anything away these days and conferences are very rare now.
    The profits must have been cut massively with so many generic drugs, sometimes we get shortages of drugs because its more profitable to export them.

4. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

No it wasn't Penicillin , although they were claiming to have invented the tele and everything else grin . I think it was some sort of Sulphide or something .

5. Sulphonamides? That'd be the Germans and Bayer, we took patents off them after the war for many drugs. Aspirin I think was one and Methadone another, they developed methadone as an analgesic.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

**** me. I did not know that. How well that one worked out, eh?

Sorry. Carry on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Methadone was then developed to use as a heroin subsitute, heroin(diamorphine) was originally developed to help those with morphine addiction, and as we all know morphine was used to combat opium addiction!

8. Pravda said it was so it must be true comrade sirbhp

9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

many thanks , I will see if I can get an online copy to read , well not read, track down this Russian research .

I worked for a company , (for about 6 hours) which gave away computers to Doctors . They had about a half a million pounds of invoices for these computers charging for some of them and charging all of the doctors for a medical software and its monthly updates . Problems was a lot of the computers had never been delivered , there were no updates of the medical dictionary.

I took a large sample to the Sales Manager and he said " oh yes that's quite right , we are just billing them so that we know where they are when we launch our next product " He and two other directors were gone before I left work that day .

The basic Idea for the updated data was : if you had a rash or people getting spots on their bums after using penicillin , doctors around the country could see this and prescribe something else . All this data was then collected to be sold to the Drug Companies .

FLAW . Drug companies obviously didn't want to know that their products might cause side effects and they certainly had no intentions of buying day that rubbished their drug !
    It cost 18 million pounds ( including freebies ) to do '10 million pounds of sales' . All this was missed during the due diligence part of the purchase of this business.

Sorry I digress.

10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Try phage therapy
    Phage therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. It is used as an analgesic but rarely mainly lung cancer - intractable cough.
    It was the work of two American Dr's Vincent Dole and Marie Nyswander, who used it in America on Heroin addicts I think in the 1960's
    They married later.

12. Years ago it was huge bribes, massive bribes.
    That book is hard going but may be of interest.

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yes, I believe they did. Then they joined Satan in Hell.

Nah, although the humongous bribes and dirty deals of drug companies back then may be a whole other thread.

14. Oh and the rise in cocaine popularity and development of local anaesthetics was something to do with Sigmund Freud who used it on himself but later treated opiate addicts with it, didn't work mind.
    To point out to younger viewers cocaine is very damaging to cardiac muscle and can kill used just once.

• Like Like x 1