one for General Melchett?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Nov 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I haven't seen this webbing before and saw it in the second edition of Skennertons Lee Enfield Story. It screams Italy to me for some reason and the Bren gunner looks like a Ghurka!

Yes its the open ammo pouches that interest!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Has someone got hold of a nice set of Yank pouches?

Attached Files:

• 140.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 KB
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Bren Gunner in question strikes me as a Pathan, from one of the Frontier Corps Units, the pullover he's wearing seems evocative of them as does the webbing. I don't recall photos of Ghurkas in pullies form that period. Though tbf I could be very wrong.
  4. Slightly of thread the man behind the Bren gunner what weapon is he holding ? Grease gun ? Mp40 ?
  5. Looks like a set of pouches for BAR magazines defo Looks like Ghurkas in Italy and it is an MP40 in the back ground looks like they are scrounging whatever kit they can lay there hands on
  6. Open pouches, poss scrounged of the yanks, fighting in a pully and use fo a weapon that he hasn't passed a WHT on...

I pity whoever the poor fcuker was the 'Soldier magazine letters editor' at that time.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I'm not sure if .303 chargers would fit, but the pouches look a lot like 37 Pattern revolver ammunition pouches.
  8. I think they're South African "Braithwaite" pattern webbing.
  9. It's a compass pouch,

The American Bar pouch wasn't individual it was a part of the whole belt.

10. Nope it's bog standard 37 patt, braithwaite had multiple pouches.
  11. Not sure its a compass pouch - .303 chargers are a tight fit in one of those. Might be the similar, unlined, pistol ammo pouch, but the pouch in the photo looks too rectangular and deep.
  12. the pouch in front of it is the rear of a pair of these:

The open one with the rounds sticking out of it looks more like a pistol pouch to me but I claim no particular expertise.

Pistol pouch:
  13. Dear Soldier,

I must applaud the efforts of our brave forces who have drawn the line in the sand at El Alamein, and pushed Jerry out of Afric across the Med and in to Africa. They have stalwartly bent and driven on the beaches of Itally and dipped their heads and shouldered their foes through the South of Italy.

But I feel I MUST highlight the fact that some of them, frankly, look unkempt. Their pouches open, they wear jumpers or other non-official merchandise and regularly scrounge weapons or equipment where ever they find it. This must stop. How can they march on Berlin looking like a bunch of scruffs who have been involved in a war for the past few years?

We didn't win in the Sudan like this, I know I was there and am thinking back through my rose tinted glasses (issue of course). My freind next door also agrees with me, and he's never been in the forces in his life.

Yours harrumphly
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It was pretty standard for all Indian Army units, including Gurkhas, during the WW2 era. Note also that most Frontier Force regiments weren't exclusively (or indeed in some cases even mostly) Pathans. In fact if I was forced to bet on it, going by the face of the man behind and to the left of the Ben Gunner, I would say they probably weren't Pathans (or Gurkhas). To be honest there's not really anything in that pic to give any indication of their unit. Ugly- was there no caption information?
  15. The soldiers have no4 rifles and what looks like a Sten. Possibly indicates they're Brits or Poles, as IIRC most Indian units retained No1s/Thompsons in Italy.

Edit: in the original photo, the bloke in the foreground appears to be wearing German half-boots, and the two guys at the back appear to be armed with MP40s. From their complexions, they do appear to be Indians.