One For Andy Smith

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Pluvia_Plumbum, Jul 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok then we've done Longs and 9mm

How about 94 vs 66 - personally I would prefer a slack handful of 66's in my bergan rather than lugging that one shot monster about. :?

2. RPG over 66 every day of the week....

3. Not very familar with the 94, however, I do remember (just) the thing we used to attach to the end of the SLR and put a special cartridge in it so it could be fired. It wasn't very accurate, just aim in the general direction and fire. Can anyone elaborate on this, my memory is shite.

Good old 66, fire and forget. The most feared weapon for sheep on Dartmoor back in my training days. This is the thing Rambo used and anything he hit went up like hitting a fuel tanker everytime, even if it was just a car.

BT. :D

4. Ineger grenade not sure that the right spelling though BT

5. [quote="

Good old 66, fire and forget. The most feared weapon for sheep on Dartmoor back in my training days. This is the thing Rambo used and anything he hit went up like hitting a fuel tanker everytime, even if it was just a car.

BT. :D[/quote]

Nah that was Bowman :D

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

This was the 'Energa' grenade, and was fired by using a Ballisite cartridge. The rifle was placed butt down on ground, and a special sight was used. It was fired like a mortar, except that the rifle's trigger was pulled with no finesse. Had to be careful, as recoil could break thumb.( first choice of firing digit). Was a huge piece of crap, and 66 was much better.
    When i first joined we had the 3.5in rocket launcher just like the septics Bazooka. Carried in 2 bits, and rocket inserted at rear, then fiddly bit of wire attached to post on venturi. When fired, as bomb travelled along, the barrel dipped, and was compensated by pushing it skyward a bit. This became hazardous when we first converted to 84mm Carl Gustav. Having a short barrel, pushing that upwards became a hazard to low flying General Staff!

7. Thanks Halo and OFAH.

Yep thats it, the Energa Grenade. Only got to fire one in training back in Ooooooo 19??.

B_T :D

P.S. Am I correct in saying it was about 72mm.

8. Ha Charly G,how I loved carrying that thing(not) once fell into a ditch inGermany carrying it nearly killed meself, the webbing strap looked like it was made for a 4 tonner!! FFS, 66 for me any time open ,c*ck ,look ,fire fook off sharpish!

9. Foock nows lol although i once got too play with the 84.....that did have some ommpf 8O

10. Post firing drill for 84 "remove Testicles from stomach" Fkin thing. Sect comd fave "if you dont take the end cap off it will bounce off the Tgt" BAWBAG!!!

At least the 84 didint try to remove the firers Right ear though!.

11. old_fat_and_hairy

Not sure about calibre, it was designated as Grenade ( Rifle) 94, so don't know if that helps. at all. Was a useless bugger, certainly.

12. havent had a crack at any of those mentioned. we were trained to use the RLG's. all our company fired the training round while a select few got to fire the HEAT rounds which was fun. one of our boys fired it in an unsecure fire position and ended up looking like a turtle on his back

13. Fkn 84, my ears are still ringing from firing that fkn thing, seriously they still are - fkn tinitus, still got it after 31 years of firing the 84.

Down at Sennelager, fired 3 on the trot, unload reload, unload reload. Little did I realise my ear plugs flew out on the first firing and I didn't know. Didn't have amplivox in them days.

B_T. 8O

14. old_fat_and_hairy

When we first fired the charlie G no-one prepared us for the kick in the balls! Bugger that hurt. Never did like firing that weapon, but it did stop me envying tankies.

15. Had a memorable morning on an AT range at Catterick some years back when a Builders Transit attempted an advance to contact down the middle of the range. Live 66 rocket just passed the other way.

RSM quote " get that Driver! " Think he meant for us to stop and advise him though rather than re engage! Dopey Twa@t had driven though several Flags and closed barriers and Quote "thought we were using Blanks". :roll: