One for all you Infantry types....

Whilst reading a book, I found a quote that may, or may not, flick your boat. It may well strike a cord with the more old and bold at any rate. :D

[align=center]Infants
[align=left]In Western Europe a tradition of hierarchy in battle has grown up and it places the Infantry, the foot soldiers, the squaddies, in a lowly position. THis is almost entirely a consequence of the rise in the importance of Cavalry, especially the Heavy Cavalry in the Middle Ages. It continued in to the Victorian period, and even when the Light Brigade charged in to the wrong valley it was considered somehow glorious. If the Infantry had marched on the Russian guns, it would have just been thought daft. This pecking order is summed up by the word "Infantry". It is cognate to enfant in French, infante in Italian and in essence was a term for the boys, too young or too poor to afford a horse. This attitude would have made tough old Centurions smile. For Rome the Infantry were the elite, the core of the Army, and flapping around the wings wer the horse-boys, the cavalry.
(the only difference to the book, is I've added a few capitals).

From The Wall, by Alistair Moffat, ISBN 978 1 84158 675 5

the Infantry were the elite, the core of the Army, and flapping around the wings wer the horse-boys, the cavalry.
I heard many a debrief on Medman sound just like that. :twisted:

Wellington used to complain that while Napoleon's cavalry won him battles, his own just got him into scrapes.
Seems to sum it up for me.