One b@stard down....

From the Times today:

Defence Minister to quit
By Philip Webster, Political Editor

ANOTHER government frontbencher took the Labour Party by surprise yesterday when he announced that he is to quit.
Ivor Caplin, a Defence Minister, became the second member of the Labour front bench to decide to give up frontline politics at the next election. Estelle Morris, the former Education Secretary and now an Arts Minister, has already announced her intention of standing down.

Mr Caplin, who entered Parliament in the big Labour intake of 1997, will stand down from the South Coast seat of Hove at the next election, expected in May. But he said that he hopes to carry on at the Ministry of Defence until then.

He had a majority of 3,171 at the last election but said last night that the narrow margin of his advantage had nothing to do with his decision. “Labour will hold this seat,” he said. The Conservatives, however, believe that they have a strong chance of winning it.

Mr Caplin is likely to return to the private sector, where he worked in the financial services sector. He told The Times that there was no hidden political reason for his departure. He said: “I am a passionate supporter of Tony Blair and everything we are doing.”

Ivor Caplin visited my (TA) rifle company in Basra earlier this year. V v unimpressive. The blokes tore him apart in a question and answer session which he didn't expect to be so challenging. He was initially quite casual and New Labour but became quite "minister ish" and prickly as the battering got worse.
The G5 bloke kept looking at his civil servants who all kept looking at me to do something. I'm afraid I was enjoying it too much to help him...

oldandcold said:
Ivor Caplin visited my (TA) rifle company in Basra earlier this year. V v unimpressive. The blokes tore him apart in a question and answer session which he didn't expect to be so challenging. He was initially quite casual and New Labour but became quite "minister ish" and prickly as the battering got worse.
He visited our TAC some time after we got back from Telic and he also received some uncomfortable questions from our guys. I reckon he only visited to get free drinks and food on the rupert's mess :D

Well done Oldandcold.

To call the man "lightweight" is to be complimentary in the extreme. Has his nose so far up Bliar's arrse that he can lick the back of his lying teeth.

Parliament will be a better place without him.

What splendid news!

I wrote to my MP a while back, about why I could not claim discount on Council Tax for the Mess being my main residence, since it's where I spend almost all my time. He forwarded it to Hoon, and the reply came from Caplin, who managed to fill two sides of A4 and still not answer the question.

Latest Threads