One Army doing alright?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by oldcolt, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought I'd finally take a look at the Army's 'doing alright' site the other day. Correct me if I'm wrong but can anyone see anything in there that relates to the TA in there. The search kind of rams it home just how integrated and at one we really are. Makes you feel all cozy and loved don't it?
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's a website aimed at retaining regular soldiers. Why would the TA feature?

Edited to add: I'm sure the reasons people leave the TA are entirely different to the reasons people leave the regs.
  3. Yes obviously, think of the reasons why you left your last job and then think of the reasons you gave up model railways...
  4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm with Ravers and Cuddles on this one. There may be many issues around the 'one army concept' but this isn't one of them.
  5. Ravers: The sub title of the site is 'get more out of your army career' - why should approximately one third of the Army be denied the same opportunities as the majority? Why should't the TA feature? :???:

BuggerAll: perhaps it's not a major issue but, it is a classic symptom of the afterthought that the TA so often seem to be when it comes to the Army.

The TA is no longer a 'hobby' it used to be portrayed as; it is now very much a machine for churning out IR's. We do the same job, we take the same risks, yada yada yada.

Speaking as an infanteer, the vast majority of our units men (and women for that matter) are either actually deployed, just returned from deployment or, are training to be deployed. Preparing for mobilisation is a process that takes over 9 months of commitment as well as preparing family and employers for a 9/ 12 month* deployment on top of that. All of which might be cocked up at the 11th hour simply because you've got a bad tooth or picked up an injury in training when you arrive RTMC Chilwell. A regular will, quite rightly, get those problems sorted rapidly through the CoC and receive the treatment they need usually, at little or no expense before deploying. The TA squaddie is not so lucky. Chances are he'll be f#cked off and told to come back for the next tour please. (And to circumvent the inevitable jibes; no I haven't been to Chilwell yet and yes, I am confident I'll be okay on the medical etc) :thumright:

My beef with the 'doing-alright' site is that it reinforces the impression that many within the TA have in that we are on the outside of the main Army; an afterthought.

Why should it be that a TA soldier planning on deploying at some point should not have the same easy to use reference point to find out what he or she is entitled to as regards salary, promotion, benefits, support and even advice on joining the regulars and making their part time career their full time one? Would it really have caused a major problem to design a site that was inclusive of everyone?

*9 months away from family is a 6 month tour plus 3 months beat up training. 12 months away from an employer is the 9 months plus a further 3 months leave during which, we are not supposed to return to work.
  6. Ravers

Because the TA is not a career. Which ever way you look at it, hobby or not, it's part time. The site is clearly designed to stop lads leaving the regular Army prematurely due to all the usual reasons; gash pay, too much time on ops, shite married quarters etc. etc.

People don't leave the TA for any of the above reasons, they leave because the TA not longer fits around their career/lifestyle.

You don't see regulars complaining that they weren't included in TA 100, why? Because it is a completely separate issue that doesn't affect them, just as this is a completely separate issue that doesn't affect the TA.
  7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Because we are hobbyists? Because its 'not real' most of the time, unless we deploy? Because it is NOT a second job? Because we don't get a pension, and are considered casual labour? Because we have other jobs (apart from those saddo's who do incidental work whilst desperately waiting all week for Friday night)?

Seriously..... A lot of people are going to have to find something else to do come new tax year.
  8. Ravers, I appreciate what you say but, for many in the TA, they do view their TA job as a career and the financial and personal rewards it brings. They do leave the pay for many reasons; many of which you might find on any regulars list; being treated badly by the CoC, looked over for promotion, having to fight for basic rights we are entitled to.

Benefits and support for families are as important to a TA soldier as they are to a regular; in some rare cases more so, as families do not have the same close knit network most army families do when they deploy. We don't want special treatment, just equal treatment/ recognition that we exist and have problems and issues of our own. :)
  9. Ravers

Just to clarify things, I am actually a member of the TA myself, however as an ex-regular (albeit from a different service) I can see that retention in the regular Army and in the TA are two completely different issues that must be addressed separately. The site is clearly aimed at younger squaddies who have completed their minimum service and are thinking of slapping in. All of the info on the site is easily available elsewhere but it has just been put into bite size chunks on the site so that Trooper Bloggs can have a look at it in his NAAFI break and realise that life as bricklayer might not be very fulfilling.

TA retention should really be at unit level, if lads are leaving your TA unit in droves then it's up to your CoC to sort it out and find out why. If lads are leaving the regs in droves at the 3/4 year mark, then clearly it is an Army wide problem and needs to be sorted, this site is clearly a small attempt to sort this out and should not be viewed as anything other than that.
  10. I don't disagree with much of what say; I just feel its an opportunity lost. Recruitment and retention could be improved across the board if every ONE within the ARMY (see what I did there) had easy access to this advice. :)